Yeast harvesting dry packs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Just wondering if it is worth the effort to harvest from 1 gal. Using a dry yeast packet?

I wash and reuse all my yeast - dry and liquid. Once dry yeast has been pitched and goes to work, it's just another batch of yeast!

Dry yeast is cheap, time is money, I think there are better time investments in brewing.

My LHBS doesn't sell yeast so i need to buy it online and pay for shipping. Which means most of the cost difference disappears unless the website has a decent sale or is offering free shipping (not exactly a common occurrence with online brew sites unless ur buying a particular type of item)

Yeast harvesting is simple for the most part and once u get it down, it won't take much time at all so if it works for u and u don't find it to be a pain in the ass, do it.

My LHBS doesn't sell yeast so i need to buy it online and pay for shipping. Which means most of the cost difference disappears unless the website has a decent sale or is offering free shipping (not exactly a common occurrence with online brew sites unless ur buying a particular type of item)

Yeast harvesting is simple for the most part and once u get it down, it won't take much time at all so if it works for u and u don't find it to be a pain in the ass, do it.

What the heck sort of LHBS doesn't sell yeast?:confused:

If you don't mind putting forth the effort, nothing wrong with harvesting that slurry. Once it rehydrates, it's no different than liquid yeast.

That would be one good exception. You can also order extra yeast packs next time, I keep a half-dozen around just in case. :mug:

That would be one good exception. You can also order extra yeast packs next time, I keep a half-dozen around just in case. :mug:

True dat. If you keep dry yeast refrigerated, it only loses 4% of its viability each year.

norcal brewing solutions has free shipping for dry yeast on their ebay store.

What the heck sort of LHBS doesn't sell yeast?:confused:

Thats what i said the first time I went all grain with a recipe i found on here; I ordered the grain bill and went to pick it up and needed to wait til the folllowing weekend to brew because he didnt have any yeast for me.

When i asked him about it he said they used to but couldn't move thru their stock quick enough and had complaints about the viability. I can see their point from a business standpoint but its the main reason ive been looking into making my own slants for specialty liquid strains and buy dry yeast in bulk.

Very strange, even by NE PA standards ;), an LHBS that doesn't stock at least some dry yeast.

I store the packages of dry yeast (S-05 mostly) in my freezer.

Yeast that had been (unintentionally) "stored" like that for over 4 years turned out very viable. For all security I made a starter and it was very active from the beginning.

I keep (dry) bread yeast, the pound packages from Sam's Club (Red Star or Fleishmann), in the freezer for years without any problems. Just roll down the foil, squeezing the air out, and put a strong bulldog clip on it. That stuff is hardy and very potent.

Back