Is this a good recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanity1676

Reaction score
Im wanting to try a new beer/larger/mead recipe involving the following, could you help me with it or show me what its similar to? :

*1.25 gallon of water
*2 cups barley
*1 cup brown sugar
*2 cups White sugar
*1 cup malt
* 2 1/2 tbsp Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
*1 campden tablet

First I am going to put my 1.25 gallons of water in my 8 quart stockpot, Bringing it up to a low boil. Next i am going to add my 2 cups barley and 1 cup malt, into a muslin bag i will let this "steep" for 1 hour at around 200F (just before boiling temp) making sure to occasionally stir it . After an hour i will stir in my cup of brown sugar, till it is totally dissolved, and allow this to sit at the same temperature for another thirty minutes, then i will dissolve my 2 cups white sugar. I will let this cool get a specific gravity reading then pour my wort into my carboy, Next im going to add my 2 1/2 tbsp yeast into my carboy, cap it it and agitate it a little,, then take off the cap and airlock it, im going to set it in a dark closet for 8-10 days, then if the foam is no longer there, im going to top it up with 2-3 cups of distilled water, put the airlock back on put it back in the dark and wait another 6 days. Then im going to cap it once bubbles have slowed to let it carbonate im going to drop a campden tablet in after this and let it settle, then siphon off my beer to another carboy, get a specific gravity reading, then from this carboy im going to bottle it adding a pinch of brown sugar to my bottles for flavor.

Would i be better off using a campden tablet or heating it in 140 F hot water it after letting it carbonate in the bottles?

What sort of beer would this be? more of a mead? i usually make wines and ciders, but i thought making some beer might be fun. Can i use champagne yeast? thoughts, comments or any help would be appreciated, cheers :mug:

whats wrong with it? Im pretty new to making beers, so im sorry for my ignorance and Thank you for your reply. Is "Eskimo beer" nasty? what should i change or add?

This recipe won't make beer. Maybe try a kit beer instead. There's no hops, you usually steep at 150, what kind of "barley" are you using? What is malt? Do you mean extract? Don't add water after fermentation, campden tablets have nothing to do with carbonation, and it's way too much sugar.

Other than all that, sure, it'll make something with alcohol.

Well looks like how a wine maker might imagine beer brewing goes. You wouldn't be brewing beer though... more like a wine with no body and an arid bitter barley flavor. Good beer brewing will use mostly mashed grains to provide the majority of fermentable sugars. If you would like to mess around with malt flavor in your cider or wine try malt extracts. If you are trying to brew beer get a kit. If you're a gambling man try your recipe. Points for trying :)

Definitely go with a beer kit. What you posted will probably produce alcohol but might induce vomiting when trying to drink it. A beer kit will package together what you need along with instructions that are extremely helpful when brewing your first beer. After you see what types of things go into a kit, you could try playing with recipes.

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely getting a kit before I try playing with any recipes

there are alot of how to homebrew videos on the internet. check them out, I did before I started. Then go to your Local Home Brew Shop(LHBS) and ask alot of questions, they should have some kits there with all the ingredients with instructions in the box.
where i learned my current process is from the Partial mash kits from www.austinhomebrew.com that is a good way to brew real good beer and almost foolproof.

Back