All American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmd

Reaction score
Just came up with this recipe and wanted to get thoughts. I am looing for an American Wheat Recipe to brew on Fathers Day.

My recipe:
5# American White Wheat
4# Am. 2 Row
1# American Munich 10L
.4# Rice Hulls

.5oz Amarillo FWH
.5oz Amarillo 30 min
1oz Centennial 1 min
1oz Centennial Dry Hop 7 Days

WLP 320 - American Hefe Yeast

OG 1.057
FG 1.016

Mash 60 min at 152 and batch sparge

5 gallons
Boil size 6.3 gallons

thoughts on recipe - I am open for suggestions. Should I make a yeast starter?

You're at the top end of OG for the style, but (if I calculate correctly), in the middle for the IBU, so it's projects to be relatively malty. Still within style, and presumably what you're after.

Mr. Malty says that you should make a 2 L starter, even with brand new yeast. If you go without, you'll probably wind up with more banana esters than you're after for an American wheat.

Recipe looks good all around. Post how it turns out.

Looks like an awesome recipe, one thing id do though is switch up the hops, do centennial for bittering and amarillo for the late additions. Ive heard amarillo makes a terrible bittering hop

I kept the recipe the same. Made a yeast starter tyhe day before. About two afters after I pitched, fermenttation started to take. Is this an aggresive yeast strain? I am using an airlock. Do I need to convert to a blowoff tube?

I always use a blowoff, just in case. Although they are not the same yeast, Wyeast 1010 American Wheat is a vigorous fermenting yeast, so I would expect that WLP320 would be, too.

I should have listened. I had to as a blow off tube less than 24 hours off fermentation. Wlp320 is super vigorous.

Back