Paossible kegging infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimych

Reaction score
Howdy, folks.

I usually bottle my brews, but I got a 3 gal keg system, to try out kegging, and so that I can use my normal fridge (one of the few benefits of living alone, heh).

The issue I'm running into the second time around is that now I have a second keg of my brew is infected - bandaid smell. Not too strong, but it is there. No astringency at the back of the throat at this point, but... First brew in the keg had that astringency after a month on gas, and local brewer confirmed the infection. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong in my kegging process. First brew I did was the SOWMBO slayer, and second one was a basic saison, followed the recipes to the letter, so nothing that I can think of that would contribute to off flavors. Both were PMs. And bottled versions came out fine, just the kegs that had that odd smell and astringency with the first brew. Second one just got the bandaid smell.

I washed everything to get rid of the new keg metallic smell, I soaked the keg and all the bits and pieces in starsan for at least 2 days. I sanitized both the CO2 and the beer lines. I didn't spray posts before I attached the lines first time I got an infected keg, but I did it the second time around...

I'm at loss here. The only thing I didn't do was completely disassemble the individual posts beyond removing them from the keg, as I really don't know how to do it safely. I did get starsan into all the nooks and crannies, though...

Any thoughts for a kegging newb?

Back