I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, GN Dan.

Also today hubby told me, "You can't handle working for somebody." He says I've been independent too long, no way I could put up with it. Hmmm... Tomorrow will be looking through more junk to sell. Plenty of it.

Selling junk is a lot of work and it's really hot today. But even if I sell the stuff really cheap, I'm pretty sure I've uncovered at least $600 worth of stuff to sell. Getting it lined up to get pictures. And once this stuff is out of the way, I can get to more stuff. It's really piled up. Also told my sister and nephew they are going to have to help with property taxes this year. Not even sure why hubby and I have always paid this, and they just live here for free. :confused: Not in our house, but on the same property. I guess because we are in charge of the farming and they are just worker bees, when we can get them to work. And we have always gotten the most profits so we pay the taxes. Times are a changing.... And hubby says no extension on property taxes, when they are due, they are due. Gotta start saving up now.

I'm posting many times in a row, trying to build up my post count maybe. Even at very low end prices, I'm thinking $2200 for the stuff I found today. Will get pictures tomorrow and put up for sale between craigslist and Ebay. A vintage record player/old radio cabinet will probably be the highest dollar item. Similar items selling for over $500 on Ebay and I'm going to start the bidding at $300. It works.

Okay, carry on, I'm done posting over and over. And property taxes on 350 acres with 3 homes is not due until November/deadline in December, but usually we start saving up in January. I worry too much.... The $1500 I still need doesn't include property taxes. Maybe I worry just enough.

What I mean is that you do not think or believe in any way that is the same as I do. The severity of the contrast in perspectives makes it much more interesting to talk to you then it would be to talk to someone with a very similar perspective.

You also reminded me of several things I can do from inside my own head that I had half forgotten about. I have been sitting around at some level of miserable for a long time when I didn't have to. I did some real meditation last night for the first time in probably a year. Not something to dampen the ache in my hands, or to restore alertness when I'm falling asleep at work and it's to late in the day to have the caffeine. Just a basic centering exercise. One that re-balances you mentally and emotionally. Baby land meditation stuff. I feel better today then I have in months.

I do like the song very much. :)
The King's Singer - Greensleeves

It was my late grandfathers favorite song. It is the only finger picking song I can play on guitar. The rest is all power chords and speed picking...

To be honest, I've picked up bits and pieces from so many sources over the last 18 years or so that I really couldn't tell you where most of it came from.

A technique I've found useful is a kind of candle meditation. You sit or lay however is comfortable for you. Then imagine a candle in your mind. Then relax your muscles. It's usually easiest to do this one muscle group at a time, you will probably need to repeat the process a few times as you start distracting yourself. Each time something crosses your mind you feed it into the flame of the candle. Letting each distraction be consumed by the flame.

Some people stare at a literal candle for this, but that's a touch risky in terms of fire. Plus inconvenient if you only have a few minutes to slot some meditation into.

Once your mental landscape is clear, if you manage to get that far without falling asleep, you feed the candle and the wick into the flame. Then let the flame go out, so what you have inside your own mind is utter stillness.

Most people either fall asleep, or need to use the restroom before they get there. Each time you repeat the exercise you will get a little closer. When you do get to that point of total stillness, you won't have any doubt that you have achieved it. You can actually feel your emotions re-balancing, and the absence of mental noise.

Even if you don't reach the goal of the meditation the attempt tends to clear the mind to some degree, and help you relax.

Some people like to listen to music for this, I find that distracting myself.

I am going to have to research that a bit. I get really stressed at times with my own business and 4 kids. They just found a spot on my dads lung. Maybe I could help him if I new something about it. I am a strong believer in mind over matter. Prayers for him if you would be so kind...I am in disbelief right now...

Got my hop trellis straitened out finally. It always times out perfect so that while I'm away fishing my hops go stupid and turn into a ginormous mass of tangled bines :( I tried to stay on top of it this year, I really did. Had the beds all cleaned up, strings were hung, but the bines weren't long enough to train when I left. Got back and they were way past due. The things I do for fish and beer :mug: Light duty rest of the summer though until harvest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup! I can relate to that! Don't forget Iron Man!

Here's a good laugh for you all. This is me in 1988...

I looked pretty close from 88 to 95-hair right to my ass (I'll see if I can dig up a pic). I played a double neck gibson in the college gig but never touched the 12 string. Bought a Carvin custom (SC90) in about 96. Thousands of dollars in Mesa Boogie and PA equipment...still sitting in my studio, untouched for about three years. What would a '78 gibson SG double-neck go for nowadays? It is stamped "second" i think for some miss-drilled bridge holes that were filled. A buddy said that may make it more valuable? It was supposedly the last year they were produced in Kalamazoo. I will not sell it myself but plan to leave it to my kids. Maybe in 30 years they can trade it for something nice.

Selling junk is a lot of work and it's really hot today. But even if I sell the stuff really cheap, I'm pretty sure I've uncovered at least $600 worth of stuff to sell. Getting it lined up to get pictures. And once this stuff is out of the way, I can get to more stuff. It's really piled up. Also told my sister and nephew they are going to have to help with property taxes this year. Not even sure why hubby and I have always paid this, and they just live here for free. :confused: Not in our house, but on the same property. I guess because we are in charge of the farming and they are just worker bees, when we can get them to work. And we have always gotten the most profits so we pay the taxes. Times are a changing.... And hubby says no extension on property taxes, when they are due, they are due. Gotta start saving up now.

I love junk! Send me a list. I might buy something. Maybe we could trade some junk. I have plenty.

lschiavo said:
I am going to have to research that a bit. I get really stressed at times with my own business and 4 kids. They just found a spot on my dads lung. Maybe I could help him if I new something about it. I am a strong believer in mind over matter. Prayers for him if you would be so kind...I am in disbelief right now...

Sorry to hear about your dad. Praying for your family.

lschaivo - sorry to about your Dad. Definitely getting some positive energy from SEPA for him.

BobbiLynn - post as much as you need to. I always say it is better to let those anxieties/stresses/feelings out because bottling them in will ALWAYS lead to bottle bombs. And nobody wants that! :)

Damn, sorry to hear that. Do what you can to spend time with him.

lschiavo said:

Sorry bro, that's really rough to deal with. My father dodged a bullet with his heart last year, basically if it wasn't for the keen ear of a doctor listening to his heart during his physical he'd be gone how. Did he have a chest X-ray? How did they find the spot? Is he symptomatic?

Best wishes for your dad as well as you and your family.

I looked pretty close from 88 to 95-hair right to my ass (I'll see if I can dig up a pic). I played a double neck gibson in the college gig but never touched the 12 string. Bought a Carvin custom (SC90) in about 96. Thousands of dollars in Mesa Boogie and PA equipment...still sitting in my studio, untouched for about three years. What would a '78 gibson SG double-neck go for nowadays? It is stamped "second" i think for some miss-drilled bridge holes that were filled. A buddy said that may make it more valuable? It was supposedly the last year they were produced in Kalamazoo. I will not sell it myself but plan to leave it to my kids. Maybe in 30 years they can trade it for something nice.

I bet that Gibson is worth money, but I have no idea how much.

I have a very old Epiphone from before they were bought out by Gibson. I'm not exactly sure how old it is, but I'm guessing it's about 50 years old. It was handed down to me from my father when I was about 8 years old. He owned a guitar repair shop when I was that age.

Here's a good laugh for you all. This is me in 1988...

Pffft. Guitar schmitar. Can you play the tennis racket? Sing into a crutch? Piano on a box? Drum a lampshade? Here's how garage bands look for losers who don't have garages or talent and live in a trailer park. I'm the loser on lead vocals. (I've got dozens of these, available on request).

For your late night soundtrack, circa 1985, passedpawn channeling Chuck Berry. Greg on racket, different Greg (Pitzenburger) on piano/box, and Ed on lampshade.

[ame]http://youtu.be/HtPG7RZLVqY[/ame]

Thanks for sharing PP! You are all way more talented than me. I never even figured out how to make the air guitar work. ;)

Looks like you had a lot of fun with your friends which probably counts more than anything.

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully they caught it early and he has some options. I've gone through 2 cancer deaths in the last 3 years (Grandmother and Stepfather). Just try not to get too worked up until you find out what the deal is.

Pffft. Guitar schmitar. Can you play the tennis racket? Sing into a crutch? Piano on a box? Drum a lampshade? Here's how garage bands look for losers who don't have garages or talent and live in a trailer park. I'm the loser on lead vocals. (I've got dozens of these, available on request).

For your late night soundtrack, circa 1985, passedpawn channeling Chuck Berry. Greg on racket, different Greg (Pitzenburger) on piano/box, and Ed on lampshade.

http://youtu.be/HtPG7RZLVqY

I play tennis quite well. I am very impressed with the whole geek band;)

Thanks all for thinking of my dad. Your thoughts mean a lot to me. He has a good attitude right now. I am going to make sure he stays that way. I will appreciate any advice that may help him.:mug:

http://youtu.be/HtPG7RZLVqY

Nice performance!

Who would have guessed PP looked like the Karate Kid!? :rockin:

passedpawn said:

Video Link: http://youtu.be/HtPG7RZLVqY

That wad totally badass! You guys looked like you were having a great time. Nice Uzi.

OK LG I pretty much always have some mental noise going on and it seems like it is always music. So much so that at times during the day it distracts me :mad:

Are you saying I can get rid of this or at least control it?
Yes. Each time you repeat this exercise you increase your ability to halt parts of your own thought processes.

Today, hubby's friend came by to check on him and asked, "is that a chicken coop?" Not sure if he really was impressed or just felt sorry for us. Hubby's been bugging me to get pictures of it so probably I will tomorrow. We built it together. I can't really say who did most of the planning, measuring and cutting, but I do know I was in charge of all the heavy work. And measuring. And marking where the cuts go. Anyway... I picked up a big log today but then hubby said just roll the next one and tip it onto the log splitter. Just change positions on the splitter. The big log splitter was loaned for as long as we need it. To clean up the trees.

No job offers, but I don't have time for a 9-5 job anyway. Help from family for property taxes. No worries. I worry too much. :eek:
I hope you're ok BL. I know what it's like sweating blood over money. Been there way to many times.

...LG, I like the candle idea and will try that. I agree music can become distracting. I've tried that before and although the music is soft and beautiful and even considered meditation music it can't be ignored. Relaxing yes but not exactly what I seek.
The candle visualization is like drawing a dot on a piece of paper. It gives your mind something to focus on while you are shutting down other thought processes.

This is not good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for scar tissue from an old case of pneumonia or a benign cyst.

I would consider that to be a foundation technique for meditation. Some variation of it is what practically everybody learns to do first.

When you start out, you are using relaxation and the visualization to achieve the mental state. Once you are familiar enough with it you can reverse the process. You reach for the mental state, and let the calm that goes along with it spread through you. With enough practice it isn't much more difficult then doing math in your head. It just takes a moment of focus, no more visualization or muscle relaxation needed.

That wad totally badass! You guys looked like you were having a great time. Nice Uzi.
The Uzi was sweet. :mug:

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully they caught it early and he has some options. I've gone through 2 cancer deaths in the last 3 years (Grandmother and Stepfather). Just try not to get too worked up until you find out what the deal is.

I don't get worked up at least on the outside. Not even a biopsy yet so I am trying to stay positive. I think it is early and hope treatment will cure it. Dad is in good spirits now. I aim to keep him that way. I appreciate your kind words:mug:

passedpawn said:

Video Link: http://youtu.be/HtPG7RZLVqY

You guys had video recording capability in 1985? I remember renting a giant camera to record my daughter's first birthday in 1987. How technology has changed!

lschiavo said:
Thanks all for thinking of my dad. Your thoughts mean a lot to me. He has a good attitude right now. I am going to make sure he stays that way. I will appreciate any advice that may help him.:mug:

My non-educated opinion is that malformed cells feed from sugar, and that a low carbohydrate diet is good for illnesses. And keeping away illness.
And, as mentioned, a spot could be anything.

You guys had video recording capability in 1985? I remember renting a giant camera to record my daughter's first birthday in 1987. How technology has changed!.

We also had a huge camera in the late 80's. Heck, I still have it. My daughter used to love playing with it when she was little (10-15 years ago). The battery died a long time ago, but you can still use the power cord. Of coarse the only problem is VHS tapes and players are harder to come by these days.

You guys had video recording capability in 1985? I remember renting a giant camera to record my daughter's first birthday in 1987. How technology has changed!

My non-educated opinion is that malformed cells feed from sugar, and that a low carbohydrate diet is good for illnesses. And keeping away illness.
And, as mentioned, a spot could be anything.

I had one of those over the shoulder VHS camcorders in 94 when my daughter was a wee thing (still have it) I am actually glad that there is no video of me in the mid 80's.
That would be embarassing.

I believe I have read that. I try to eat that way. I will try to help him to do the same. Thank you for the advice and encouraging words:mug:

lschiavo, a spot on his lungs will be fine. Doctors can treat that, even if it's not benign. Chemo, at the worst, is hell. But any little spot if they catch it early can be treated. Start to worry when he has a grapefruit sized cancerous tumor and then it spreads. And sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, I am sympathetic. Thinking of you and praying for you and your dad, if that is allowed, no religious stuff, not allowed here. If I say praying for you, is that breaking the rules about no religious debates? Whatever. :confused:

lschiavo, a spot on his lungs will be fine. Doctors can treat that, even if it's not benign. Chemo, at the worst, is hell. But any little spot if they catch it early can be treated. Start to worry when he has a grapefruit sized cancerous tumor and then it spreads. And sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, I am sympathetic. Thinking of you and praying for you and your dad, if that is allowed, no religious stuff, not allowed here. If I say praying for you, is that breaking the rules about no religious debates? Whatever. :confused:

BobbiLynn, pretty sure praying for somebody is not against forum policy. If it were I'd have been kicked off here a long time ago.

Thanks Bobbi. your encouraging words means a lot. It's 3 cm according to the CT. It's only been a few months that he has not felt well. You sound very sympathetic and I appreciate your prayers. You have mine as well for your hubby.

Hubby says I am trivializing my sister's cancer and that is the whole point of what I am doing. A little lump, she got treated over a period of 5 months and now she is fine. Trivial? I would not say trivial but I definitely would say curable. She is fine now. No more cancer that they can detect. Cancer is curable if caught early. Not my choice who lives or dies.

F*ck this.

Passedpawn, you still up? Right now sure would be a great time for another one of your videos.. You know dude. I think we are the same age. Back in the 80 guys like you and Stauff (even though a few years later) were always getting the chicks! Dang! :D

Hubby says I am trivializing my sister's cancer and that is the whole point of what I am doing. A little lump, she got treated over a period of 5 months and now she is fine. Trivial? I would not say trivial but I definitely would say curable. She is fine now. No more cancer that they can detect. Cancer is curable if caught early. Not my choice who lives or dies.

F*ck this.

**** Cancer!!! There is too much of it. Something is fundamental wrong. I smoke and drink too much. I won't be surprised. Clean healthy people get it all the time...WTF is up with that?

Latest posts

Back