Question from an amateur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
So I did a gravity test after one week and some change and got my final gravity already, tastes great though obviously flat, I'm going to bottle tomorrow.
My question is if d45 was used in the boil, do I still need to use bottling sugar? I only ask because I don't wanna make an amatuer mistake and end up with an explosion and a mop at 3am

Yeah you need more sugar. The yeast have fermented the sugar that was in there

Yep, for a typical 5 gallon batch, you'll need some priming sugar to carbonate the beer. If the yeasts have done their job, they will have consumed all of the sorghum sugars (or whatever your base "malt" was) in your wort. The easiest way to prime your bottles or kegs uniformly is to create a simple syrup and add it to the beer in your bottling bucket. Take your priming sugar and add it to a cup or two of gently boiling water. Stir it in until it dissolves and let it gently boil for about ten minutes to sanitize. Then, pour the simple syrup into your bottling bucket and rack your young beer onto it using a racking cane with tubing or an auto-siphon. Avoid splashing the beer to prevent oxidation (which is a bad thing at this point). I just take the tube from my auto siphon and place it down in the bottom of the bottling bucket. The beer will gently mix itself with the simple syrup ensuring you get an even distribution of sugar for priming in each bottle.

You might wanna leave it in the fermenter. It is most likely done fermenting. However, the yeast need time to clean up after themselves. 2 weeks is usually the minimum. The beer will benefit from a little aging. You can bottle with no ill effect. It will just take the beer longer to reach peak flavor. Best thing to learn in this hobby is to let it ride.

Yeah, I agree. I rarely bottle a beer before it's been in the carboy for at least 3 weeks. 2 is the absolute minimum, and the longer it stays in the carboy, the less time it has to age in the bottles. At 1 week, the beer will taste quite "green". So I second Osedax and say give it another week to finish up. Just because the bubbling has stopped and the final gravity has been reached, doesn't mean the yeasts are done working.

Back