Adding something to my belgian wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtexas

Reaction score
I have brewed 3 5 gallon batches of the Wit beer recipe below. I just bottled the second one and this one is in the primary as we speak and has been for going on 9 days. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how i could change this batch up a little. I was thinking of adding some strawberries to the secondary and racking it over soon. I have know idea how it would taste, but just wanted to try something different. Any suggestions? I'm willing to try anything seeing as I already have 10 gallons of it.

6 lbs. wheat malt extract
1 lb. unmalted wheat grain
1/4 lb. acidulated malt
1 oz. Saaz hops (bittering)
No flavoring or finishing hops
3/4 oz. each coriander seeds & dried bitter orange peel (crushed & added during last 5 min.)
Liquid - White Labs Belgian Wit

ferment it on the warm side of the yeast range, from experience, and yes, adding fruit to secondary can be a nice option. I've done frozen strawberries, 6lbs. for 9g batch, so say 2lbs. for yours, but note that fresh is usually better. I'd soak the fresh ones in star-san quick then strain before adding. Sometimes fruit can contribute to acetobacteria.

Anything I should know about adding fruit to the secondary?

Frozen can tend to add a bitterness to things, but if you use fresh, perhaps consider a quick soak in star-san, strain, then add to secondary. If you secondary in an open fermenter, like a bucket, things will be much easier for you. Carboys can be tricky to get fruit out of.

Just add the fruit first, then rack on top of it. The beer will ferment a second time, eating the sugars in the fruit, then once krausen has fallen again you can cold-crash and rack off the fruit.

The wheat extract, is that a dry extract? Here's the Belgian Wit recipe I've been using:

4 lbs Pilsen Light dry malt extract
1 lb 2-row grain
1 lb unmalted wheat
.5 lb oats
2 oz aciduated malt

It comes out very light. I don't like the spices very much, so only 1/2 the normal amounts. I'm going to start trying fruit too, we have local raspberries and cherries.

And I already cut up the fruit in quarters and froze it. I kept reading that's what people were doing. I dont want it to be bitter though.

And I already cut up the fruit in quarters and froze it. I kept reading that's what people were doing. I dont want it to be bitter though.

well, I thought my strawberry blonde was good, but it did have a slightly earthy taste, but it was store-bought, pre-frozen berries.

I just actually bottled 4 of my 5 gallon batch of Belgian Wit.

Left 1 gallon (and yeast cake) in and boiled up 2lbs Light DME with .75 oz of Styrian Goldings. Cooled it and added some yeast super nutrient....

Added that plus 3 gallons of Apple Juice to the carboy.

it has been going nuts for the past 2 days....

I should know in a month if my Belgian Wit Graff going to super great....or super gnarly awful....

I just actually bottled 4 of my 5 gallon batch of Belgian Wit.

Left 1 gallon (and yeast cake) in and boiled up 2lbs Light DME with .75 oz of Styrian Goldings. Cooled it and added some yeast super nutrient....

Added that plus 3 gallons of Apple Juice to the carboy.

it has been going nuts for the past 2 days....

I should know in a month if my Belgian Wit Graff going to super great....or super gnarly awful....

So the beer yeast is fermenting the apple juice? I'm gonna have to try this.

Back