Espresso Barleywine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esarkipato

Reaction score
I need some HBT help! I'm envisioning a high gravity barleywine with a subtle hop presence but a smoothness and bite that come from adding an amount of fresh-brewed espresso. Yes, I'm talking about my cheap-o espresso machine that can actually make a good cup if I leave out the burnt crap at the end.

Here's an outline of what I'm thinking. I've searched the forum (and web) and don't see a whole lot out there.

"Buzzed Up Barleywine"
5 gallons

8 lbs 2-row
5 lbs Munich
3 lbs flaked rice (gravity boost, leaving body for espresso)
1 lb Crystal (40L)
1 lb Crystal (10L)
2 oz Black Patent Malt (for color)
Mash at 153, maybe a short protein rest to help those yeast finish the job.

3 lbs xtra-lite DME (late addition, to increase gravity and avoid HUGE boil volume)

HOPS
60 m 0.5oz Apollo pellet 18.1 AA
30 m 0.5oz Apollo pellet 18.1 AA
20 m 0.5oz Apollo pellet 18.1 AA

OG est 1.120 FG est 1.030 ABV est 11.7%
IBU est 45

Yeast - culture from Bell's bottle. Very clean finishing, and hopefully a high tolerance! This is a 2nd generation washed yeast, and I'll probably with a large starter from some DME.

Ferment around 65F.

Espresso - brew a bunch of it and add maybe 16-20 fluid ounces at bottling.

What do you think!? I really, really love the sweet & bitter smoothness of a good cup of espresso and hope to really showcase those aspects by backing off on the hops and specialty grains. More espresso? Less? Any comments/suggestions very welcome.

I think that cold brewed coffee works really well in beer. Might be worth a try.
I'd say that you should buy a commercial barleywine that you like, and try adding coffee to it and see if you come up with a taste that you are into.

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of any addition to a barley wine. I hope it turns out well! And as goat_power said, cold press coffee works better typically. I'm curious to find out how the espresso flavor handles the aging.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all and I salute your creative vision, but why not do an espresso stout? Honestly, Barley Wine is all about the malty flavors of dark fruits/caramels with the citrusy flavor of American hops. I really that think espresso will mask those flavors and detract from the beer. Some people might put in a pinch of roasted malt for subtle character but espresso is far from subtle.

It's your beer and please do what you want. That is what makes homebrewing so great. I'm just weighing in with my opinion.

Regarding cold pressed coffee, I've tried that on a stout and felt that the results were disappointing. I like STRONG black coffee and was hoping to get a little more out of the grounds and into the flavor/aroma of the beer.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all and I salute your creative vision, but why not do an espresso stout? Honestly, Barley Wine is all about the malty flavors of dark fruits/caramels with the citrusy flavor of American hops. I really that think espresso will mask those flavors and detract from the beer. Some people might put in a pinch of roasted malt for subtle character but espresso is far from subtle.

It's your beer and please do what you want. That is what makes homebrewing so great. I'm just weighing in with my opinion.

You made me re-read the bjcp guidelines for american and english b-wines. I think you are right. I'm shooting for something in between imperial stout and barleywine, with the hop aroma and bitterness of a barleywine being replaced by a bold espresso. So much espresso that it truly looks like a stout, with that creamy stout mouthfeel.

This might be more aptly titled "Imperial Espresso Ale"!

Other thoughts?

I hyper-fermented a 20% blend of Stone's espresso totalitarian Russian stout and 80% DB's maibock. The result was better than either by itself. The Stone was very very very good, but it packed a wallop, too much coffee and too much alcohol, resulting in an hour or 2 of hyperactivity followed by sleep to the death, maibock was too pine resiny. The blend with amg and a month resulted in no pine tar, no caffeine hyper and no sleepiness (not till enough has been drunk anyway).

I have a 10 of lagunitas willetized - 12.5 abv and plenty of sweetness to think I'll be able to ferment it without problem till its dry as a bone.

I just wanted to see if someone had done a similar recipe, I start with a beer, and ferment it further, so I am definitely a big outlier.
Cool.
Srinath.

This is an interesting idea. Can you please share more details about the varietal and tasting notes you get from your espresso?

I did an American stout years ago that I dry hopped with centennial and citra and dumped a chemex of homeroasted central american coffee (very fruity cup) and the roasty flavors played very well with the citrus believe it or not. One of my best beers.

Give some thought ahead of time if the caramel, honey flavors from a barley wine would go well with your style of coffee flavor.

Back