Repeat brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
I'm all for experimenting with homebrewing, but I generally brew the same 3-5 beers over and over. I did just recently make my first all-grain but still brewed the same pale ale that I know and love (so I can compare it to the partial mash version I had been making).

So how many of you use the same recipe over and over or have a 'house brew' that is always available at your place?

At this point, Id say half my brews are tweaking recipes and the other half are new brews.

You learn a lot from tweaking recipes.

I always have my version of breakfast stout on tap and my ipa (grain bill remains the same but hops change most times I make it) my two other taps rotate, typically for seasonally appropriate beers (blonde and hefe for summer on tap now, brown and porters for fall and winter etc

I still make new recipes most of the time. I have a couple of old favorites that I rotate in and out, but I rarely have the same exact thing on tap.

I always have one IPA, one APA, and one "other" on tap (like a malty beer, or a stout, or a light lager), but they are often different variations of the styles.

I've only got a few brews under my belt, so I'm still a newbie, but my next brew (actually 2) will be a repeat. I made a recipe for an IPA, just cracked one open the other day, and while I was happy with it, it seemed sort of one-dimensional, citrusy. I plan on making two follow-up batches side-by-side, one with more bittering hops, and one with a bit of flaked rye. I couldn't decide what it needed, bitterness or spiciness, but it needed something additional. Hopefully one of those two batches will be the one I'm looking for. And when I'm happy with that recipe, I'll start on another.

And I have two beers that I enjoy and pretty much only brew them. That is the great thing about this hobby I guess. You can do what you want:rockin:

That is the great thing about this hobby I guess. You can do what you want:rockin:

+1 to that. I'm still trying to get a stockpile of beer going. Seems like it goes faster than I have time to make it. Until I have that stockpile, I'm just brewing what I personally want to drink on a regular basis. If my friends like it too, cool. If not, more for me.

I rarely make the same beer exactly the same way twice. Just did a porter a second time but adjusted the grain bill to boost what I liked about the first one. I also make BM's Centennial Blonde 3-4 times a year but it always has some sort of modification. It is a great beer to play with because it's cheap to make and any changes show easily. I am making it today and adding a couple pounds of honey to raise the abv. Also I'm adding some Columbus to it. Just because I had both sitting around.

I have 1 brew that I make repeatedly, an American Pale Ale. I do tweak the hop schedule every time though, searching for that perfect combination!

I have a feeling that some version of my Pale Ale, Blonde Summer Ale and Amber ale will always be in my rotation. I'm not a big fan of HUGE beers or beers with roasted malt.

I still make new recipes most of the time. I have a couple of old favorites that I rotate in and out, but I rarely have the same exact thing on tap.
May be OCD, but creeping up on 200 batches and I still can't get over, "that was good, but what if I try this." Even recipes that I "repeat" are usually tweaked at least a little.

edit:
Not to mention that I love to tinker, so my system is in a constant state of change . . .

I have made 31 batches so far in the last 15 months, I have made 4 batches of one(my "house" saison), 3 of another(coconut black ipa) and 2 of another(milk chocolate sweet stout). The rest are one off batches in which some will be worked in as regulars and others may not be. I prefer a lot to experiment and brew different so unless I make something that just blows my mind or is a huge crowd favorite I won't make it again.

Back