Strong yeast taste after weeks in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me why i might get a strong yeast taste after four or five weeks in the bottle. I did an all grain using pilsner grain and wyeast 1056. After 2.5 weeks the beer was ready and tasted great, nice and light, smooth. After some time it has developed a yeast taste almost like a german wheat beer. I will add that all my gravity numbers were spot on. It had 2 weeks in the primary, and 2 weeks in the secondary.

Are you leaving the last half ounce or so in the bottle? The dregs in the bottom of the bottle are packed full of yeast.

bottle conditioned?

did you cold crash before transferring to bottles?

I've had this problem especially when using US-05. I think it flocculates poorly. I started cold crashing when using this yeast.

I had an ipa that was crystal clear and in the fridge for over a month and it was like a belgian it was so yeasty. I couldn't get rid of it. So use gelatin.

Back