Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can only use steel or non toxic shot for waterfowl. They outlawed lead shot for waterfowl hunting federally a long time ago. There are alternatives to steel like hevi-shot or tungsten matrix but they are expensive.

Some of the non toxic alternatives are safe to use in older fixed choke guns.

The 3 1/2" 12 gauge was made for steel shot to help overcome its velocity and pattern density issues.

In most states you can still use lead shot to hunt upland birds but check the local laws first especially if you're hunting public land.

Yeah, lead is illegal everywhere for waterfowl. I use steel exclusively, and 2 3/4 has proven more than sufficient. Same for geese, though if I seriously expect to be taking a shot at some, I will swap to BB loads.

Hey whatever works for you. It doesn't matter how big the shell is as long as it patterns well. I'd be a little skittish about shooting steel shot out of a model 12.

I personally don't like steel shot and shoot lead as much as possible. But I mostly shoot trap anymore.

I remember years ago when non-toxic shot for waterfowl first became mandatory. I had an older Remington 870 that had a fixed full choke barrel. The information back then was that old full chokes and steel did not mix. Options were to; (1) avoid steel shot; (2) have a gunsmith open up the choke; or (3) get a different barrel. I opted for No. 3 and got a new Remington barrel with changeable chokes. The full choke tube that came with the new barrel specifically stated that it was ok for steel.

I've also heard different things about steel shot and fixed chokes. But mostly I've heard that they don't mix.

I've heard the old Miroku A5's where ok to shoot steel out of but not the Belgian A5's.

I have a few fixed choke guns but I play it safe and don't shoot steel shot with them. They aren't high dollar guns but I can't get a barrel for one of them.

Just for the F of it...

nuf_said.jpg

Two of my favorite things...

Bought this assault 22 today.

ForumRunner_20130413_170932.png

Lol, jk, just a Marlin 795. Now I just have to find ammo!

ForumRunner_20130413_171023.png

Good luck finding any, at least around here I'd have better luck looking for centerfire than rimfire.

Don't keep live honey badgers for protecting your beer from gnomes, use the American Honey Badger.

101211od_ausa11137.jpg

*photo credit to the gear scout, that is not my gun*

I'm in the process of building an AR15, or .223/5.56 NATO, pistol. :ban: I have the lower, LPK installed, pistol buffer tube (with buffer and spring), and upper already. Just need to get the BCG, barrel, gas block, gas tube and a few other parts to complete it. I might opt for a heavier buffer (4.6oz or 5.2oz instead of the stock 3oz) to reduce recoil. With a 7.5" barrel, I might need the heavier buffer.

Earlier picture of the AR pistol, in progress. I'll take a new picture in the next few days.
AR_pistol_right_side.jpg

Also made one [rear] take-down pin from stainless round stock today. Need to work on it a little more to make it 100% as I want. Or make another one with the slight alteration to it. I'm making it with enough to the right side so that you can simply grab it from that side without issue. Once I have it as I want, I'll post up a picture of it. My friend, with a mini-mill is going to put the groove (and detent holes) in it for me. I might make a few of them and replace the stock ones as I want.

Cool project you've got going there! Wish I would have bought a stripped pistol lower back in November when they could still be had.

Depending on your barrel/gas/muzzle device/bca you might need that light buffer. Always better to be gassed right rather than over or under.

Cool project you've got going there! Wish I would have bought a stripped pistol lower back in November when they could still be had.

Depending on your barrel/gas/muzzle device/bca you might need that light buffer. Always better to be gassed right rather than over or under.

Lowers are non-specific. IF you're going to make it into a pistol, and not a SBR, you just get/install the pistol buffer tube onto it. No shoulder stock on it means it's NOT a SBR so it's not a NFA item and requires no extra fed payoff to own.

You can get a lower from any of the many sources, or get an 80% lower and finish it yourself (NO FFL needed, since it's not considered a FFL item, but a paperweight in that condition). I have one AR15 and one AR10 80% lower coming that will be finished by me. I'll then be able to build up rifles around those. These will be 'homemade' firearms, which is 100% legal to do. If you don't live in a 'nanny state' you have a LOT more options available to you.

One of the projects I'm looking forward to is to make a sound moderation device for my AR's. I just need to figure out the baffle design on that.

Wasn't aware of that....if I knew.....oh well, I'd probably have found a way to spend another three grand on another AR.

Not particular into finishing a receiver, but on that topic of short "rifles", an AK pistol certainly would be neat.

You can buy a piece of metal you bend and weld yourself (the lower receiver). I hear it's pretty easy. Not AR barrel mounting easy, but easy none the less.

First it won't suffer so much from a short barrel, second no buffer tube. Conceal carry AK pistol? :ban:

Didn't know you could make your own suppressor? Surely the ATF has their claws into those too.

Wasn't aware of that....if I knew.....oh well, I'd probably have found a way to spend another three grand on another AR.

Not particular into finishing a receiver, but on that topic of short "rifles", an AK pistol certainly would be neat.

You can buy a piece of metal you bend and weld yourself (the lower receiver). I hear it's pretty easy. Not AR barrel mounting easy, but easy none the less.

First it won't suffer so much from a short barrel, second no buffer tube. Conceal carry AK pistol? :ban:

Didn't know you could make your own suppressor? Surely the ATF has their claws into those too.

Three grand on an AR??? That's "full on retard" pricing. I'll spend far less than that to finish my AR pistol. Hell, I paid less than 1/3 of that for my current AR15 rifle.

I know of someone that has made AK receivers from a shovel before. IMO, too much work. I can get an 80% AR15 lower for <$75 and just finish it. For about $10 (per lower) I can have it Cerakoted so it's protected.

You can get piston driven AR's too. Just costs a bit more compared to the regular gas driven system.

Good luck in trying to actually conceal that AK pistol. Unless you have a long coat, it's not going to happen. Not going to happen much with an AR pistol either. I have an ambi sling mount on mine, so I can just carry it that way. Use a single point sling and you're fine.

As for the sound moderation device, the ATF wants their $200 for the stamp, just like if you buy one. I'll just save the $500+ on the actual device by making it myself. I've also found out that I can work on the baffle design before submitting the form for the stamp. The materials to build one will come out to far less than what you pay to get one pre-made. You just need to know where to get the materials. Not sure if that will be made this calendar year, or not. Might be a project for next year.

BTW, IMO, AK's are just ugly. I'd rather have an EBR. :ban:

I agree it would be nuts if it is a hunting gun but that's not what it's for. I probably should have spent more but can't justify replacing the optic that's on there now, nor do I plan on putting a night vision unit in front of it so...as long as I don't get killed over it I'm fine. This ain't a fun gun.

Wasn't serious about CC an AK pistol. Both are ungodly large, and if someone has that kind of threat against them, they'd be better off just having an SBR'd AR. And body armor.

I agree AK's are ugly, but at least it ain't as bad as aunt bertha the SKS. But hey both look and work the same when operated from a rice paddy.:p

Used to use a single point sling until I needed to go hands free. The teeth from my flash suppressor ripped into my calf pretty good. That being said if you don't need hands free the single is awfully nice for shooting switch.

I agree it would be nuts if it is a hunting gun but that's not what it's for. I probably should have spent more but can't justify replacing the optic that's on there now, nor do I plan on putting a night vision unit in front of it so...as long as I don't get killed over it I'm fine. This ain't a fun gun.

Wasn't serious about CC an AK pistol. Both are ungodly large, and if someone has that kind of threat against them, they'd be better off just having an SBR'd AR. And body armor.

I agree AK's are ugly, but at least it ain't as bad as aunt bertha the SKS. But hey both look and work the same when operated from a rice paddy.:p

Used to use a single point sling until I needed to go hands free. The teeth from my flash suppressor ripped into my calf pretty good. That being said if you don't need hands free the single is awfully nice for shooting switch.

I'm looking at the single point sling for being able to easily transition from rifle to side-arm. Not sure what I'll end up using on the AR pistol. Even with a short (7.5") barrel, the thing is going to be long. If I decide to put a can on it, it will be even longer. I will at least put a good muzzle break on it, to help with climb.

I'm not about to spend $1500+ on an optic. Maybe on the AR10 I will, but that's going to be more of a loooong range rifle.

I wouldn't advocate that much on an optic, unless it includes a tripler and mounts included.

Scope well of course then yeah anything long range costs big dough.

too much work. I can get an 80% AR15 lower for <$75

That's a great price. I just picked up a stripped lower from Palmetto SA for $119 and that's the best price I've seen since the panic started back in Dec.

I'm building it slowly as parts become available. Waiting on a Magpul stock kit and haven't totally decided on the upper parts yet.
I lucked into some PMag's last week and I'm a happy feller.

mags2.jpg

There are a few... You need to look around to see who has inventory on hand. We're getting some from Ares Armor currently. Also, if you know someone with access to a CNC milling machine, you might be able to get them to produce the 80% lower that you then finish at home. I'm looking into that now too. It's a bit less than buying the 80% lower from the other sources. Of course, you'll also need to have the jig in order to complete the lower. Having friends with the CNC machines means you could get those made too. Or just buy one for use over the next many years.

With the CAD files, you have many options.

I have access to a drill press. Is it really that easy to finish off an 80%? From what I've seen so far, all that's needed is a lower vise kit. Is that true? How do you ensure you properly line up all of the holes?

Having *A* beer or maybe even two while firing a gun is a vast difference than mainlining vodka or whiskey out on a shoot. Personally I wouldn't chose to do the latter although I've known people who do. The former isn't necessarily that bad. Even drunk driving testing showed some increase in capability at lower levels although the propaganda they put out now a days would lead you to believe otherwise.

2 beers is my limit within a given hour window of shooting and maybe an extra single each hour after that at best if it's a session beer. I refuse to drink hard liquor while shooting. I also won't drink if I'm shooting anywhere but up into the air. Until I start taking planes out of the air during dove season I figure that's reasonable.

I suppose I can see that stance but in the same respect, a person with bottomed out blood sugar would be much more of a risk than someone who's had "A beer." Heck, even two most likely... But I'm not about to ask people around me to take a glucose test before they load up... Actually, correct that, I might actually require my wife to commit to a blood sugar test before I'll be around her armed. When her blood sugar is low her judgement is horrific and sways as much as a drunk.

Very true, when blood sugar is very low you really do lack the ability to think. Definitely much more than someone who has had a beer or two. Or you could pass out with a loaded gun in your hand. Always a bad idea.

I am too, if a person has low blood sugar knows that they do. Which it seems like they would if they are old enough to be shooting guns. Then they would know the risks and make sure that they had the proper levels, if they were worried about their health that is. Unlike in the situation where drinking is intentially making yourself intoxicated and could lead to someone being hurt. Now 1-2 beers probably is fine but any more, or hard booze, could for sure lead to unseen consequences.

Very true, when blood sugar is very low you really do lack the ability to think. Definitely much more than someone who has had a beer or two. Or you could pass out with a loaded gun in your hand. Always a bad idea.
It's also really easy to correct. If you know you have that issue, you carry things with you to take care of it. Even a good snack will do the job. Or eating properly before you go to the range.

I'm failing to see how the possibility of a particular person having low blood sugar justifies drinking while shooting.
It doesn't. If anything, it adds another level of responsibility onto the shoulders of the shooter.

IF I'm going to the range in the morning, I have a decent b-fast. Even if that's just a bowl of oatmeal. If in the afternoon, I make sure I have a good lunch. I also bring other things to munch on IF I suspect I'll be there long enough where I'll need it.

Pretty easy to take care of if you're SMART about this. Be stupid and I have no sympathy for anything that happens to you.

I'm failing to see how the possibility of a particular person having low blood sugar justifies drinking while shooting.
Please note, having *a* drink while in the possession or even firing a firearm is vastly different than getting drunk while firing a loaded firearm. My point is that there are many impairments and you should always be aware of your capability under your current conditions (having a beer being a possible one of them). I would agree with you in that being impaired to the point where you become a danger is not just dangerous with this very dangerous tool but a plethora of other items as well. Yet almost daily I see at least one person drooping behind the wheel of a car on the interstate on my way home.

I am too, if a person has low blood sugar knows that they do. Which it seems like they would if they are old enough to be shooting guns. Then they would know the risks and make sure that they had the proper levels, if they were worried about their health that is. Unlike in the situation where drinking is intentially making yourself intoxicated and could lead to someone being hurt. Now 1-2 beers probably is fine but any more, or hard booze, could for sure lead to unseen consequences.
While it is possible that in the case of a diabetic (for example) that a person may be aware of their dip, that is far from a guarantee. Many fights were had with my wife when she was low blood sugar who believed it did not impair her in any way. Recording the situation and convincing her to watch through it changed her tune right away hence why I brought the example up in the first place.

I agree with your latter assertion however and it is my primary issue here. People dismissively assume that consuming even a thimbleful of alcohol impairs you and makes you a danger to others but even using one of the earlier tests for alcohol impairment while driving they showed that small amounts actually increase attention being paid rather than decreasing it in many people and in some people that amount is even larger. Instead, we've created this hysteria around the subject to the point that I won't even have a single beer when out to dinner because it's not worth the bull**** they put you through if you're pulled over and there is still a possibility the cop can or will throw the book (DWI anyway) at you even with a BAC of 0.001%.

Further, how far do you extend it? Do you not allow people with literal "blind spots" to fire a weapon in any manner? My father cannot see until you've passed 30 degrees on the right side of his head with his peripheral vision. Is this not a similar sort of danger also? How about someone with a cough? Long hair? Poor hearing? If you're going to stigmatize something because you might be impaired the tiniest bit where do you draw the line?

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to imply there isn't significant responsibility and safety risks involved with handling what is arguably one of the most dangerous tools ever created. However, I also am not of the mindset that a single beer (or even two in some people's cases) should impair the average person to the point they are unable to handle the firearm in question safely. I am, however, a heavy advocate that people should be responsible for all their activities, this one included, and should handle such dangers with the proper discretion. Granted opinions vary here and I do not fault people with different ones but that also doesn't mean I'm going to just blindly agree with them either.

Sorry if I rambled a bit. It's early and the baby is sick so I'm half out of it. (IMPAIRED!! ;) )

Please note, having *a* drink while in the possession or even firing a firearm is vastly different than getting drunk while firing a loaded firearm. My point is that there are many impairments and you should always be aware of your capability under your current conditions (having a beer being a possible one of them). I would agree with you in that being impaired to the point where you become a danger is not just dangerous with this very dangerous tool but a plethora of other items as well. Yet almost daily I see at least one person drooping behind the wheel of a car on the interstate on my way home.

While it is possible that in the case of a diabetic (for example) that a person may be aware of their dip, that is far from a guarantee. Many fights were had with my wife when she was low blood sugar who believed it did not impair her in any way. Recording the situation and convincing her to watch through it changed her tune right away hence why I brought the example up in the first place.

I agree with your latter assertion however and it is my primary issue here. People dismissively assume that consuming even a thimbleful of alcohol impairs you and makes you a danger to others but even using one of the earlier tests for alcohol impairment while driving they showed that small amounts actually increase attention being paid rather than decreasing it in many people and in some people that amount is even larger. Instead, we've created this hysteria around the subject to the point that I won't even have a single beer when out to dinner because it's not worth the bull**** they put you through if you're pulled over and there is still a possibility the cop can or will throw the book (DWI anyway) at you even with a BAC of 0.001%.

Further, how far do you extend it? Do you not allow people with literal "blind spots" to fire a weapon in any manner? My father cannot see until you've passed 30 degrees on the right side of his head with his peripheral vision. Is this not a similar sort of danger also? How about someone with a cough? Long hair? Poor hearing? If you're going to stigmatize something because you might be impaired the tiniest bit where do you draw the line?

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to imply there isn't significant responsibility and safety risks involved with handling what is arguably one of the most dangerous tools ever created. However, I also am not of the mindset that a single beer (or even two in some people's cases) should impair the average person to the point they are unable to handle the firearm in question safely. I am, however, a heavy advocate that people should be responsible for all their activities, this one included, and should handle such dangers with the proper discretion. Granted opinions vary here and I do not fault people with different ones but that also doesn't mean I'm going to just blindly agree with them either.

Sorry if I rambled a bit. It's early and the baby is sick so I'm half out of it. (IMPAIRED!! ;) )

I see your point. It is a touchy with lots if coulds and couldn'ts and in and outs. I live near a hunting reservation and I am good friends with the people who live there and there is a member there that is completely blind. He has a person go out with him and tell him exactly where to shoot and its such precise instructions that he can shoot a peasant out of the air. It really is quite an awesome thing to watch. You make some good points, there are a lot of impairments that could make shooting dangerous, some can be avoided, some cannot. I think a lot of responsibility goes into shooting guns and it really needs to be respected. Also no worries on ramble, after a hard, long day at work I can barely respond with a proper response. I guess I pick and choose who I shoot with. Some people I would never, and some people always. For instance, immature guys who I know make poor decisions, never. But my pops or close friends who I've shot at the range with or have seen them use proper gun care, always. Hell I would be fine shooting with the blind guy, he understands guns and shooting and respects it. And the guy that goes with him pinpoints where to shoot so well and the guy will not even put his finger on the trigger till he is told to and pulls it when told to. Like I said, quite an amazing thing to see a blind guy shoot peasants out of the air.

Swarley88 said:
I see your point. It is a touchy with lots if coulds and couldn'ts and in and outs. I live near a hunting reservation and I am good friends with the people who live there and there is a member there that is completely blind. He has a person go out with him and tell him exactly where to shoot and its such precise instructions that he can shoot a peasant out of the air. It really is quite an awesome thing to watch. You make some good points, there are a lot of impairments that could make shooting dangerous, some can be avoided, some cannot. I think a lot of responsibility goes into shooting guns and it really needs to be respected. Also no worries on ramble, after a hard, long day at work I can barely respond with a proper response. I guess I pick and choose who I shoot with. Some people I would never, and some people always. For instance, immature guys who I know make poor decisions, never. But my pops or close friends who I've shot at the range with or have seen them use proper gun care, always. Hell I would be fine shooting with the blind guy, he understands guns and shooting and respects it. And the guy that goes with him pinpoints where to shoot so well and the guy will not even put his finger on the trigger till he is told to and pulls it when told to. Like I said, quite an amazing thing to see a blind guy shoot peasants out of the air.

This may be an autocorrect issue, but I'm guessing you mean pheasants rather than peasants. These must be some high jumping peasants...though any peasant worth his salt asks "how high" when asked to jump.

This may be an autocorrect issue, but I'm guessing you mean pheasants rather than peasants. These must be some high jumping peasants...though any peasant worth his salt asks "how high" when asked to jump.

Hahahahaha yes. I am on my phone and like stated long day at work. And have had a couple whiskeys when I got home. Didn't even notice hahagaha. Damn peasants! Let the blind man shoot you!

To much talk about state gun laws, not enough pictures of gun porn.

All Stainless Para Ordnance LDA 45 ACP
13026_10200619458950136_1253963114_n.jpg

377687_10200619459070139_2137203894_n.jpg

Springfield Armory 1911-A1

1911A1-01.JPG

1911A1-04.JPG

Charles Daly 1911 Officers Model 45acp

CharlesDaly01.jpg

CharlesDaly02.jpg

Old Wards/Stevens Hercules 12 gauge side by side.

426595_10200619459390147_394966052_n.jpg

483440_10200619462390222_185806223_n.jpg

NEF Single Shot Handi-Rifle in .22 Hornet

NEF01.JPG

S&W 22A plinker

22A06.JPG

Another 22 plinker. S&W 422

42201.jpg

Another Plinker S&W 10/22 Charger Pistol

Charger02.JPG

Charger01.JPG

CZ75B 9mm

CZ005.JPG

Springfield Armory XD 9mm

xd9mm1.JPG

Older Makarov

Makarov01.JPG

Makarov02.JPG

There may or may not be more sitting around somewhere.

Oh and one in progress.

lowermill02.jpg

lowermill01.jpg

And since this is the guns and beer thread.

S&W 432PD with a Home Brewed Nut Brown and some grub on the grill.

CL03small.JPG

Oh and the Lee Single stage that feeds them all.

rlbench14.JPG

rlbench20.JPG

To much talk about state gun laws, not enough pictures of gun porn.

All Stainless Para Ordnance LDA 45 ACP

Springfield Armory 1911-A1

Charles Daly 1911 Officers Model 45acp

Old Wards/Stevens Hercules 12 gauge side by side.

NEF Single Shot Handi-Rifle in .22 Hornet

S&W 22A plinker

Another 22 plinker. S&W 422

Another Plinker S&W 10/22 Charger Pistol

CZ75B 9mm

Springfield Armory XD 9mm

Older Makarov

There may or may not be more sitting around somewhere.

Oh and one in progress.

Saweet guns sir! Very nice collection.

In this case ... and one of the only cases I know of beside driving... beer in moderation... when combined with guns...

Back