2013 NHC first round results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess the question i still have, given the score(s) some of us have received, will we receive something in the mail? for said gold, silver and bronze certificates / medals...

CR-

38 and a 39 on my APA and did not even make Mini BOS in Atlanta. (** Correction I see the website shows that it advanced to the Mini BOS but the score/cover sheet I was send did not indicate that **)

Also had high scores for a Cider. Both judges loved it. Both judges commented on how much it tasted exactly like my description of the target. One Judge made sure to tell me he wanted the recipe. Both said it was too sweet for the style and did not advance it. Not sure how a cider designed to be sweet and entered into the Specialty Cider category can be knocked for being too sweet but ok...

I really wish there was a way to see the other scores for the people that were in your category. Just my curiosity, but it would be nice to know.

I really wish there was a way to see the other scores for the people that were in your category. Just my curiosity, but it would be nice to know.

I have brought that up before. It would be nice to know even if just from a statistical point of view. What is the "average" score for the NHC in the first round? People say the scores don't matter..but I disagree. IF they didn't matter why assign scores at all? You certainly could fill out a scoresheet with just comments and observations.

I have brought that up before. It would be nice to know even if just from a statistical point of view. What is the "average" score for the NHC in the first round? People say the scores don't matter..but I disagree. IF they didn't matter why assign scores at all? You certainly could fill out a scoresheet with just comments and observations.

For any beer that goes to mini-BOS the scores (usually) aren't used to determine placement. The beers are tasted again among all the judges in a given category, and then voted upon. If there are a bunch of beers in mini-BOS, there might be a round of eliminations before the vote, but in either case the scores don't really enter into it, except that higher scoring beers tend to make it to the mini-BOS in the first place.

IMO the score is more for calibration purposes than anything else. The higher scoring beers in a flight will generally be more to style than the lower scoring beers, although if you have multiple judge pairs, one pair may consistently judge higher or lower than another in the same flight...which is one of the reasons why mini-BOS does not just use the scores to determine placement.

For any beer that goes to mini-BOS the scores (usually) aren't used to determine placement. The beers are tasted again among all the judges in a given category, and then voted upon. If there are a bunch of beers in mini-BOS, there might be a round of eliminations before the vote, but in either case the scores don't really enter into it, except that higher scoring beers tend to make it to the mini-BOS in the first place.

IMO the score is more for calibration purposes than anything else. The higher scoring beers in a flight will generally be more to style than the lower scoring beers, although if you have multiple judge pairs, one pair may consistently judge higher or lower than another in the same flight...which is one of the reasons why mini-BOS does not just use the scores to determine placement.

Yeah....the mini BOS is essentially more of a "tasting" than a "judging" since score sheets aren't filled out or assigned a score.

Any idea when they are mailing out the first round ribbons? I've done my best to be patient but I think I'm starting to make the mailman nervous. :)

:mug:

what about the silver and bronze winners stuff?

I know if you log into the region where you registered, the .pdf files of the certificates are downloadable. So you can print out your certificates there. I'm unsure if they are also mailing them out as well.

Links to all the regions can be found by clicking here.

Also had high scores for a Cider. Both judges loved it. Both judges commented on how much it tasted exactly like my description of the target. One Judge made sure to tell me he wanted the recipe. Both said it was too sweet for the style and did not advance it. Not sure how a cider designed to be sweet and entered into the Specialty Cider category can be knocked for being too sweet but ok...

In a specialty category, the most important intangible is balance. While a cider can be quite sweet, there needs to be either acidity or tannins to balance it. The same balance comment can (and should) be made on categories 21, 22 & 23.

Hope that helps!

Got mine yesterday too!

Maybe I'm being greedy, but what's up with the sponsors for each category? I thought I would have gotten some kind of prize/gift certificate with the blue ribbon from the first round?

Anyone else having issues sending in final round entries?

My "mailcopyplus" store said the address doesn't exist based on the label I printed off from the NHC site. I told them to override it as the address is what I printed off from the instructions.

Considering everything else that seemed to happen this year, I wouldn't be surprised if my final round entries don't make it.

*shrug*

Got mine yesterday too!

Maybe I'm being greedy, but what's up with the sponsors for each category? I thought I would have gotten some kind of prize/gift certificate with the blue ribbon from the first round?

I don't think you get anything for the first round but you bring up a good point. What do you exactly do you "win" at the NHC? It seems like there should be some pretty rad prizes for those who place....other than a 2 dollar medal and bragging rights.

My "mailcopyplus" store said the address doesn't exist based on the label I printed off from the NHC site. I told them to override it as the address is what I printed off from the instructions.

Considering everything else that seemed to happen this year, I wouldn't be surprised if my final round entries don't make it.

*shrug*

My wife and I are doing a road trip on Sat. to hand deliver my entries! No shipping :ban: I seriously considered not sending beers to the last two years because of the long distance, and the fact that I brew light styles.

*shrug*

hmmm, don't be quick to blame NHC. The address lines up with Keystone Homebrewing supply's address on their web page. Maybe the "mailcopyplus" needs to update their software database.

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/our-locations/

hmmm, don't be quick to blame NHC. The address lines up with Keystone Homebrewing supply's address on their web page. Maybe the "mailcopyplus" needs to update their software database.

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/our-locations/

I shipped directly from UPS and got the same error. I'm not blaming the NHC though... I think this is just an unfortunate error. I dropped mine off with UPS about an hour ago and it's supposed to get there tomorrow. I'll be tracking it closely :)

Well... despite the error when trying to ship, my beers were delivered today.

Hopefully, they are in the right place :)

I sent my second round entries out today. I watched in disbelief as the FedEx guy loaded the box sideways into the truck. Does "this end up" mean anything? I have to wonder how many of the beers I have shipped travel on their side or arrive that way. Hoping they will be OK once unpacked and allowed to sit upright for two weeks before judging. The beer is a California Common, bottle conditioned.

Maybe he was thinking "up" in a cosmic sense and was pointing it to the top of the galaxy...

That does suck though.... I have the same thing written all over my boxes when I ship, and I sometimes wonder how they really get treated. Wish I lived closer to a lot of the major comps, as it would be reassuring to hand deliver.

Once perk of bottling off keg - no sediment to stir up.

You guys obviously haven't seen their packages go through a sort facility.

Those things tumble all over the place. So, rest easy when the driver places the package sideways, cuz that's just the start of its journey.

RDWHAHB

What do you exactly do you "win" at the NHC? It seems like there should be some pretty rad prizes for those who place....other than a 2 dollar medal and bragging rights.

There are. Last year when I came off stage, there were a couple tables with some prizes, separated into Gold, Silver, and Bronze. It's pretty much swag but I did get a couple gift certificates as well.

But the bragging rights go a long way too.

The big prizes are for the big awards (Homebrewer of the Year, Cider Maker, Mead maker, Ninkasi, etc ).

You guys obviously haven't seen their packages go through a sort facility.

Those things tumble all over the place. So, rest easy when the driver places the package sideways, cuz that's just the start of its journey.

RDWHAHB

Yeah, whenever I package beers for shipping I always throw the box across my basement to test for adequate packing. No joke. :)

'THIS SIDE UP' in regards to shipping probably applies more to freight where things are shipped on pallets. If your box is light enough to be thrown, it probably will be. Here is a video of my UPS guy in action. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, whenever I package beers for shipping I always throw the box across my basement to test for adequate packing. No joke. :)

'THIS SIDE UP' in regards to shipping probably applies more to freight where things are shipped on pallets. If your box is light enough to be thrown, it probably will be. Here is a video of my UPS guy in action. UPS guy. :(

Man..... I hope that was your "former" UPS guy..... What a *ick.

I can report that while your beers may not be placed in an upright position (mine were not labeled to indicate that), they currently are in a cooler awaiting moving them to the judging locale. I dropped mine off in person at Keystone homebrew on Saturday and they said they are all being put into a cooler. I was very glad to hear this as I rebrewed my lagers at the end of April and two more weeks of cold aging should have the beers at their peak come judging time

I had never been to that store before and was very impressed with the staff and the selection in the store. I periodically have ordered from them (no LHBS here) and will definitely do so more often now. To bad it is 3 hrs away

I think I jinxed myself by saying anything about the box leaving my place sideways. No comfy fridge for my entries. I sent the entries from work and didn't bother tracking them. Well... They box showed up today. Damaged and returned to me. The shipping deadline is Monday. I called and luckily got a few days reprieve with proof of the damaged shipment.

The secretary at work thinks I should make a claim with FedEx since the damage happened while out for delivery Wednesday and they never notified us. What are three second round NHC brews worth???

'THIS SIDE UP' in regards to shipping probably applies more to freight where things are shipped on pallets. If your box is light enough to be thrown, it probably will be. Here is a video of my UPS guy in action. UPS guy. :(

Similar story, I bought my wife a pottery wheel for her birthday a couple years ago. I happened to be out trimming the bushes when the delivery driver arrived, just in time to see him eschew the use of a hand truck in favor of rolling the rather large and heavy package toward my home. I managed to run up and take custody before it did too many flips.

I think I jinxed myself by saying anything about the box leaving my place sideways. No comfy fridge for my entries. I sent the entries from work and didn't bother tracking them. Well... They box showed up today. Damaged and returned to me. The shipping deadline is Monday. I called and luckily got a few days reprieve with proof of the damaged shipment.

The secretary at work thinks I should make a claim with FedEx since the damage happened while out for delivery Wednesday and they never notified us. What are three second round NHC brews worth???

What size box and how did you package them? I put each bottle in a 1 gallon ziplock bag and then wrap in large bubble wrap twice around the bottle and a few inches past the top and bottom of the bottle and cover with a bunch of packing tape to fully secure the bubble wrap all around. Then line the box with bubble wrap and pack them snug. 6 bottles will fill a 14x15x12 box pretty well.

If you don't feel confident dropping a wrapped bottle from a 8-10" height... add more bubble wrap.

As for the claim... good luck with that. Unless you are a licenced shipper of alcohol I certainly wouldn't pursue it... especially if you shipped it from work.

Good luck with the next box... and when you feel comfortable throwing the box across the room, it's ready to ship :)

There are. Last year when I came off stage, there were a couple tables with some prizes, separated into Gold, Silver, and Bronze. It's pretty much swag but I did get a couple gift certificates as well.

But the bragging rights go a long way too.

The big prizes are for the big awards (Homebrewer of the Year, Cider Maker, Mead maker, Ninkasi, etc ).

I got a sweet kettle with my gold metal last year. Retail $239.99

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...re-10-gal-brew-pot-w-1-2-ball-valve-2310.html

Back