Escondido Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik Rodriguez

Reaction score
Greetings from CA!

Some years ago when the job market here crashed, I found myself unemployed. So, having lots of time on my hands and bored senseless, I learned how to make cheese, wine, and beer. Started with glass carboy fermenters and buckets and cheap pots. Made wine out of all kinds of things, including prickly pear and pomegranate. Brewed several batches of beer.

Results with beer were always fairly chaotic. Always seem to have a hard time with temp control using gas. So, I stopped brewing for a couple years. Converted all my equipment to electric and my first all electric brewed batch of Irish Red is going into the bottles Sunday.

I plan on learning a lot about brewing over the next year or so. Then plan on partnering with a couple buddies who also brew and see if we can put something together to turn a hobby into an income stream. We shall see. Still tons to learn.

Nice I'm south of u by a ways. U got solar?
I'm halfway thru upgrading my indoor 2.5g BIAB gas setup to a 5g garage 3 vessel automated gas setup.

Electricity and water are pretty expensive so I plan go get a good plate chiller to come from knockout down to 90F and a recirc ice bath to go down to pitch temp. I don't have solar yet and the payback on additional panels isn't quite there since so many of our appliances are currently gas...

Probably will get solar in 11 months, but really like cooking with gas! Best of luck with the new brews! Great hobby!

Nice I'm south of u by a ways. U got solar?
I'm halfway thru upgrading my indoor 2.5g BIAB gas setup to a 5g garage 3 vessel automated gas setup.

Electricity and water are pretty expensive so I plan go get a good plate chiller to come from knockout down to 90F and a recirc ice bath to go down to pitch temp. I don't have solar yet and the payback on additional panels isn't quite there since so many of our appliances are currently gas...

Probably will get solar in 11 months, but really like cooking with gas! Best of luck with the new brews! Great hobby!

No solar. Roof needs to be totally replaced and we are seriously considering going solar at that time. However I also want a battery backup system if I go solar, partially because I geek out on such things, and partially because I really seriously hate SDGE.

I have a counterflow copper coil for cooling. Took 5.25 gallons of wort down from boiling to 70 in about 15 minutes. Plate chillers are nice and I had one once, but cleaning it was a disaster. Probably my fault.

My garage is small - single car size. I could do a decent size 3 kettle system, but I really like the K-Rims setup I have. Not a lot of floor space needed but enough volume capacity for a 10 gallon batch. I also have a nice SS fermentation tank capable of handling batches that large. Stole some Peltier cooling units from an old wine cooler, milled out an aluminum block, and added a heat blanket and controller to maintain a nice fermentation temp summer and winter. But for small batches I just use a Fast Ferment.

Some people are converting their water heater to go solar. Keeps hot water on hand as well as storing some energy to allow for a smaller battery.

Hello from Cincinnati. Southern California is my favorite place in the world. I was in Escondido not to long ago touring the Stone brewery. Outstanding beer!.

Back