Is My Beer Ruined?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsbeckton

Reaction score
My dear wife was organizing the basement on Sunday and knocked the airlock off of my belgian dark strong (Carboy) and apparently didn't notice. So it was sitting for 2 days with the surface (about 3.5" diameter) open to the air. I plan to bottle condition so not sure if that will help absorb some of the oxygen. Is it ruined?

You will have no idea unless you see an infection, taste an infection, or your beer comes rushing out of the bottle from an infection. Lock it back up with the airlock...chances are its ok.

Probably not. Just let it go and it will most likely be OK.

Beer is a lot more resiliant than we think.

Just let it finish.

if it's still producing CO2, chances are you'll be fine. and there's probably a good layer of CO2 blanketing the surface. remember the first rule of brewing: RDWHAHB.

Well, to be more specific, it's been sitting in secondary at about 10.5% ABV for about a month so I am more concerned with oxidation than infection.

Probably not ruined, but pretend it's ruined to make your wife feel guilty, so she can make up for it. ;)

Well, to be more specific, it's been sitting in secondary at about 10.5% ABV for about a month so I am more concerned with oxidation than infection.

chances are there's a good layer of CO2. take a sample & taste. take a deep breath, hold it for 3 seconds. you just relaxed & had a home brew.

So a few days should be ok? I planned to age this beer for at least a year so want to make sure it's worth the effort before wasting all of that time.

Yup had this happen with me on a tripple. I also bottled it and made it last a year with no worries

Back