Fermentation Odor Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COJane

Reaction score
Hi - I want to try and move the CO2 from my fermentation outside by attaching tubing to an airlock and then placing the end of the tubing outside. I'm wondering if anyone has had success doing this? I'm open to creativity, but also want to make sure to be sterile and use some sort of an airlock system to keep dirt, etc from getting into my fermentation. Also, I'm fermenting veggies, not beer... but I am using stainless steel vats designed for beer/wine fermentation. Thanks!

I have been doing some hunting in the forums -- it looks like some people have had success using activated carbon. That may be something I try - it looks like there are DIY options, but are there airlocks that incorporate activated carbon?

Not sure if you're looking to control oder if you DON'T move it outside? If it's outside, who cares what it smells like? As long as the water/sanitizer is in your airlock, nothing can get into your fermenter.

Activated carbon will work, but not the way you think. You need a pretty big filter to effectively control odor, they're expensive, and only last for about a year depending on how much you use them. Putting a small amount of carbon in your airlock would do absolutely nothing. Besides, you can't get it wet. Very humid air will rhender it useless as well. You would need to make an enclosure around your fermenter with a hole for inlet air to come in and a fan with the carbon filter attached to it for the outlet air. I would just run a blow off tube through the wall to the outside and submerge it in a bucket of star san or something. Easy, cheap, effective, and you'll be able to maintain airlock that way.

Thanks -- sounds like tubing to the outside is the way to go.

I was thinking of running air through the airlock first, and then through a section of tubing filled with activated charcoal to try and prevent needing to get the tubing outside. There's not too much odor, but I'm trying to be respectful to the roommates.

Unless your brew is releasing rhino farts, the smell, or should I say aroma, is not that bad. Now the constant bubbling of a blow off tube during active fermentation could drive someone crazy, if in the same room.

Latest posts

Back