Does It Double?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I'm considering combining 2 cans of Mr Beer HME. The Vienna Lager says it has 23 IBU's, and the Canadian Blonde says it has 22 IBU's. If adding these together, but keeping the volume the same, would I add these figures for an fairly accurate result?

I'm actually considering reducing the volume to ~1.8 gals. But I figure if I can get a rough picture of it into the calculator, I can get an idea of what it would be if I reduced the volume yield.

I've done toucans before. 2 Different Cooper's cans with 3lbs plain light DME & a few ounces of hops. I got an OG of 1.065 with those amounts. So the extra can will add to the gravity,but not double.

For the sake I'll leave the volumes the same, though I changed it from a 2.125 gal as Mr Beer designed, to 2.5 gals, but if they each, without the booster, have an ABV of 2.3%, and one has 22 IBU's and the other has 23 IBU's, wouldn't I combine these two figures? Since I added DME, as well as volume, these would drop more, but otherwise wouldn't I have had a 4.6% and 45 IBU beer?

I'm actually a little reluctant to combine these after I really consider that I don't know exactly what's in these. It's likely to become a very strange beer. But I didn't want to try to figure out how to divide up my US-05 into 3 parts. And I've heard that Mr Beer yeast is just bottom of the barrel, and not really worth using.

I am now considering what I can do with them by making them 1.75 gal batches plus the 2.5 gal pale, which would mean the US-05 would be divided into 6 gals... I figure it ought to do OK.

I don't think you add the IBU's, rather get an average between the 2. If you have 2 bottles of the same beer, and combine them in one glass, it's not going to be double as bitter.

I say do It normal is boring and you just might like it. If the volume stays the same you should add the numbers together and be pretty close. At Hopville.com you could have punched in those numbers, but they sold out to Brewtoad.com and there site sucks.

Yes, you add the IBU values for the cans, and the OG...your FG might not go as low, so you might not get double the ABV, but it should be close.

The Mr. Beer yeast is fine, but basically a huge underpitch...so you need to use at least 3 packs for an average gravity beer.

The new Mr. Beer yeast is a bit better, 5 g per oack vs 2 of the old ones, but it sounds like you're talking about the old ones. :)

True super cross, but that would also double the volume, whereas with this the volume is the same. In essence I figure it ought to be like doubling the LME and hops. in the same size batch. Right?

These are ~2 years old. Some are barely expired (Match/April).

I saved 2 yeast packets (June/April '13) in case I wanted to try it. But I'd almost rather slightly under pitch US-05 possibly...

True super cross, but that would also double the volume, whereas with this the volume is the same. In essence I figure it ought to be like doubling the LME and hops. in the same size batch. Right?

Sorry, only scanned his posts. Didn't see the part about keeping the volume the same

Latest posts

Back