Dry hop RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
Dry hopping a RIS? Make sense? Or no? Since it will be in bottle so long before enjoying I assume a lot of the aroma etc from dry hopping would be lost.

Hop aroma isnt something typically characteristic of a RIS... That being said this is home brewing so do whatever the hell you want. Honestly i think it might be interesting as itll set your RIS up for a stark transformation as it ages and i have a sneaky suspicion that the hop aroma doesnt just up and disappear and could add a distinct character to the beer as it ages. There is always the option to split the batch and dry hop one and leave the other one as is.

Im curious, what do you want to dry hop your RIS with?

Honestly not really sure... I messed up and doubled the Nuggets in the recipe... and added 30 min of 1 oz fuggle and willamette... it was to be about 60-70 ibu...and is 100+... OG was 1.115

With that much malt, it won't be bitter.

If dry hopping, go for more an earthy/floral hop, if anything. I've never done it just because I age them so long, but it would be interesting I guess to see how it changes.

I probably wouldn't. If I did, I would bulk age it for quite a while, and they dry hop for a week before bottling.
There is so much going on in the flavor of a RIS, that dry hopping isn't gonna add much. If you got hops you need to get rid of, go for it.

Even with my mistake w the hops I am excited to see how it tastes throughout the aging process. It definitely had some layers of flavors when I tried it when I took OG readings!

Back