Delaying pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought at conical fermenter off eBay, and due to the Memorial Day holiday and the simple fact that USPS sucks, it has not arrived. The tracking, which I don't entirely trust says it will be here middle of next week.

I am brewing a Pliny the Elder clone this afternoon, and I REALLY want to use my conical to ferment it, not least because I am also supposed to be fermenting 5 gallons of it for my buddy.

I am brewing at a different buddy's house (we are doing 15 gallons) and I had planned on transporting the the wort home with me in two corny kegs. Would it be a big deal if I left it in the kegs for a few days, before transferring into the conical and then pitching the yeast?

I wouldn't, only because your giving any bacteria that makes it through plenty of time to reproduce without any competition from the yeast. I would use a primary and transfer it to the conical and use it as a secondary. Plus if the tracking is wrong how long will it sit in the kegs before you pitch the yeast? But that's just me.

There is a risk of botulism. I don't know how significant, but botulism spores exist in soil and almost certainly in your grain. Boiling does not kill the spores and when they reproduce they make botulism toxin. If yeast are present they overwhelm the spores before they can reproduce.

I wouldn't do it.

Wait til next week to brew when you have the conical at your home..
Pliny is $$ to make, so why even risk it.
The longest I've waited to pitch was a about a day (I ran outta Oxygen).
You will love your conical, I've had mine for 2 years now and It's a great investment!

Edit, saw you are brewing this afternoon..good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Going to brew at my buddy's and then going to ferment there.

I'll try out the conical next week with something different.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to experiment with the Pliny in the conical anyway, it would be expensive to mess up 10 gallons.

Thanks

Back