shared usage of a boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytop714

Reaction score
All,

Currently, my wife and I both use the same 5 gallon stock pot... me for brewing, her for making homemade tomato sauce and stocks. This has yet to be an issue or to produce weird flavors, in either.

The stock pot we both use has become undersized for what I use it for, as I have switched to all grain BIAB, instead of extract kits. It also has a very thin bottom which has created some scorching issues with her tomato sauce.

So I plan to upgrade to a 10 gallon SS pot that we can both use. I would really like to install a weldless brewmometer in the pot, though, to help monitor my temps during mash and chilling.

That's where my concerns come in, though. As long as the kettle were cleaned well after every use, regardless of what it's being used for, would that be any kind of a problem?

I don't want my beer tasting like soup and vice versa.

is this a possibility or would we be better off keeping them for separate usage?

Thanks.

All,

Currently, my wife and I both use the same 5 gallon stock pot... me for brewing, her for making homemade tomato sauce and stocks. This has yet to be an issue or to produce weird flavors, in either.

The stock pot we both use has become undersized for what I use it for, as I have switched to all grain BIAB, instead of extract kits. It also has a very thin bottom which has created some scorching issues with her tomato sauce.

So I plan to upgrade to a 10 gallon SS pot that we can both use. I would really like to install a weldless brewmometer in the pot, though, to help monitor my temps during mash and chilling.

That's where my concerns come in, though. As long as the kettle were cleaned well after every use, regardless of what it's being used for, would that be any kind of a problem?

I don't want my beer tasting like soup and vice versa.

is this a possibility or would we be better off keeping them for separate usage?

Thanks.

I don't think I would get a brewmometer in one if you're doing BIAB. The stem could tear the bag. I use a cheap digital thermometer for my setup (link). The timer and strike temp alarm make it invaluable to me.

As for the dual usage, it being stainless I'd say it should be no problem. Look at all the other foods cooked in different stock pots. Why would beer be any different?

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the wired digital thermometer, the temp alarm is great for heating strike water and watching mash temps. The cheap ones don't last long though, I am on number three in three years. Just picked up a $15 one from Walmart that is wireless.

I also keep a deep fry type thermometer in the boil kettle for heat up and chilling. I don't BIAB though.

I vote SS pot so u don't need to worry about oxydation layers like u would wiht an aluminum pot.

As far as a brewmometer, pass on the hardware and get urself two digital (one pen style the other with the longer wire probe - amazon has great deals normally). U are better off using two that are calibrated appropriately especially if ur doing any BIAB or AG mashes since temp is very important.

U can move them around the mash while its steeping and get different temps and not have to worry about an installed thermometer tearing the bag and also not worry about it getting hit with a spoon while ur wife is stirring her own sauces.

Thanks for the advice!

I had actually meant to ask about how the stem on the brewmometer and the mesh bag would work together and it sounds like it could possibly be an issue, though. I currently use a fryer-style thermometer and/or a small digital thermometer when heating the strike water and monitoring the mash temp. for whatever reason, I kind of presumed that the brewmometer was a "step up" and would make things easier, but I hadn't even considered the probe style thermometer. That would be a safer and cheaper way to monitor the temp without having to take the lid off.

we use the same SS pot for both right now and lingering flavors have never been a problem. My concern was how adding additional hardware might change that, but based on your responses, it sounds like it's not really worth the extra money. so methinks I'll be looking into a plain ol' 10 gallon stock pot and a decent probe thermometer, instead.

kh54s10, Lobster Beer? why not, man? They make oyster stout... Let's give other shellfish their due, while we're at it

Again, thanks a lot. I appreciat the insight and I also appreciate the fact that you all just helped me make a decision that will save me close to $100... $100 that could be more wisely spent on other system upgrades... suggestions??? haha...

:D

Back