Raw Honey - Camden tablet or Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi,

I just picked up a good 14lbs or so of raw honey form a local bee keeper friend her in New Zealand. This is pretty unprocessed stuff with a bit of wax in there, etc. Most recipes I've read say to boil or at least heat up to about 140 or 150, but others say not to boil and that it causes flavor and aroma loss. That sounds right to me and boiling seems like it would defeat the purpose of getting such great unprocessed new Zealand raw honey. On the other hand it's a safe bet that there is all kinds of wild stuff in there that might cause problems...

Are Camden tablets a good way to go like I would do with fruit wine or is boiling/heating a better way to go? Our water is also spring fed so there is no doubt a vulnerability there as well.

What are the pros and cons of using Camden tablets 24 hours before the yeast pitch vs boiling?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

dont use camden tablets, and don't heat it up. just use as it is. i am a beekeeper and use lots of raw honey in both beer and mead. Dont worry, you will be fine!

dont use camden tablets, and don't heat it up. just use as it is. i am a beekeeper and use lots of raw honey in both beer and mead. Dont worry, you will be fine!

Thanks for the tip. I'm in a really wet, and almost rain forest - esque part of New Zealand. very prone to fungus and mold and there is so much forest, flowers, and general plant life around that I'd be certain this honey has all kinds of exposure to wild yeast at the very least. Even our water is literally piped in from a spring fed waterfall. I'm sure there is tons of stuff in there that could contribute to problems... You really think I'll be fine even with all of that said?

Honey is very unlikely to harbor anything harmful. It's inherently antibiotic due to its pH and osmotic pressure. This is why it doesn't go bad in the hives even in the middle of the summer.

Gotchya, and thanks. I hear you on how honey acts as an antibiotic and doesn't really spoil but if things like wild yeast and acetobacter are present isn't there risk of off flavors or even vinegar once alcohol starts to develop?

It shouldn't. Any wild yeasts that made it through will be beaten out by commercial wine yeast. Acetobacter from what I know needs air to develop. Air in your must will be eaten by the yeast and/or pushed out by active fermentation. If any is sticking around, keeping your headspace to a minimum will remedy that.

From what I understand acetobacter is also pretty much everywhere and I've made plenty of batches without heating my honey 1 degree. No vinegar yet.

I also don't heat my honey(or any other part of my must), and this is in a house that also makes yogurt, lacto fermented pickles and soon, vinegar. Just sanitize you're equipment properly and use Camden on fresh fruit.

Gotchya, and thanks. I hear you on how honey acts as an antibiotic and doesn't really spoil but if things like wild yeast and acetobacter are present isn't there risk of off flavors or even vinegar once alcohol starts to develop?

Off flavors are impossible to predict. Wild yeast might do something goofy if they are present. But then again, you might get off flavors because the honey has too much of some mineral or not enough of another mineral. I'd say the quality of the water is far more important than any critters in the honey as far as the finished product is concerned.

Thanks everyone and great suggestion MarshmallowBlue. Much appreciated.

Back