S-05 vs Wyeast 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
i am putting together a Pilsner Ale recipe (since i can't lager i wanted to do the next best thing). i am having trouble deciding between S-05 or the 1007, anyone has anyone campared the 2 of these in a german style lager-like recipe?

Yep, temps will tell the tale. If you can ferment in the high 50s or low 60s go with 1007. Have you looked into other yeasts?

my basement stays between 60-65, i have also looked into Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager, it says it can ferment up to 68 degrees F. but no one seems to have alot of info on that one in warmer temps. i also looked into Wyeast 2112 and WLP 810 and not sure which way to go here.

It really depends on your temps and what you are going for. Between S-05 and 007, I would go with S-05 (its usually cheaper, easier to work with, and I have personally had better results). I have had mixed results with 007 (some beers finished well, some get stuck....YMMV)

2124 is a completely different yeast for a completely different style....why are you looking into a lager yeast in comparison to the two ale yeasts if you don't mind me asking?

I've tried Bohemian Lager at an ale temperature for a Red Ale/Lager. It gets a little fruity but maintains that lager flavor profile. That is a tough part to get across. Ale yeasts can be clean but still tastes like ales. Lager yeasts can get fruity and "dirty" but still taste like lagers.
A good video on this is called Lager Workarounds at the Northern Brewer page. I think more people without refrigeration should try 2124. If a proper starter is made, a mid 50's pitch temp is attained, and a wet t-shirt is covering a fermenter, this makes a serviceable lager.

It really depends on your temps and what you are going for. Between S-05 and 007, I would go with S-05 (its usually cheaper, easier to work with, and I have personally had better results). I have had mixed results with 007 (some beers finished well, some get stuck....YMMV)

2124 is a completely different yeast for a completely different style....why are you looking into a lager yeast in comparison to the two ale yeasts if you don't mind me asking?

to be honest i have no clue, i'm just brainstorming and noticed the temp range on that yeast, thought it might be worth looking into

I've tried Bohemian Lager at an ale temperature for a Red Ale/Lager. It gets a little fruity but maintains that lager flavor profile. That is a tough part to get across. Ale yeasts can be clean but still tastes like ales. Lager yeasts can get fruity and "dirty" but still taste like lagers.
A good video on this is called Lager Workarounds at the Northern Brewer page. I think more people without refrigeration should try 2124. If a proper starter is made, a mid 50's pitch temp is attained, and a wet t-shirt is covering a fermenter, this makes a serviceable lager.

ok great, thanks for that info, i really want to start doing lagers during the winter months and thought why not try something that can be similar.

I am just finishing up a 100% Pilsner Malt (12 lbs) fermented with 1007 that I'll be tapping this weekend. I'll let you know how it turned out.

I am just finishing up a 100% Pilsner Malt (12 lbs) fermented with 1007 that I'll be tapping this weekend. I'll let you know how it turned out.

ok great, i'll be looking foward to it, im really interested in these pseduo lager type beers, thanks.

007 has a temp range of 55' to 68'. I plan on using it for a sour mash Berliner weisse this weekend fermenting at 64-66 to hopefully get some of the mild fruitiness they claim it can produce at warmer temps (this will be my first time with it).

Have you tried WLP029 Kolsch yeast? Its a nice clean yeast which I've had good results with.
Its best in the 65-69 range, so could work for you.

Back