White spots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
I am brewing my second batch. It is a AHS kolsch. I racked to secondary yesterday. When I looked at it tonight there were lots of white spots on the surface of the brew. Should I be worried?i was very sanitary with everything.

I would bet that everything is fine. If it's your second batch: Relax, Don't Worry, and Have a Home Brew from your first batch if it's ready :) If you're really concerned you can post a picture of how it looks and we can usually judge by that. If you're not that worried stop opening it up for a while and just let it ride.

Thanks for the response. I haven't opened it since i racked from primary. It's in a glass carboy. The other issue is am having which I also had twitch my first batch is the amount of sediment transferring into the secondary. It looks clear coming through the siphon and then I have about a half inch to an inch on the bottom of the secondary almost immediately. Any way to reduce that?

Just being careful how you siphon really. Try not to pick up any of the sediment from the primary. Some folks will put a hop sack or something on their racking cane but I don't think that will prevent yeast from getting through.

Also, just so you know a lot of people don't even rack to secondary anymore unless you're going to age it for multiple months or add something like fruit or oak. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just saying it's a step you could likely skip if you'd like. Either way, a little sediment is no big deal but I understand wanting to try to reduce it.

Thanks. I am brewing a kolsch so I want it to be really clear. I used Irish moss in the boil so we will see what happens

I used Irish moss in my second brew, also. I noticed a heck of a lot more sediment. I didn't rack to a secondary and I am only a week and a half in to it. I also had almost double the hop addition of my first. I am curious as to how yours turns out.

Good luck! I bet you'll be just fine. If you're bottling put the bottles in the fridge for around a week after they're carbonated and they should pour pretty clear.

I get that with some batches. It is fine. The spots are likely yeast rafts or co2 bubbles. I just kegged a Wee Heavy that had these.

Back