extract question lme vs dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
When i look at the recipes and kit ingredients why is it that we mix up lme and dme together if the recipe calls for example 3.3 lbs dark lme and 2 lbs dark dme why not just put in 5.3 dme or a little less i know its more concentrated.

Good question. I wonder if it isn't a approach to tailoring extract recipes to specific styles. I know that I use late extract additions and a lot of recipes don't call for it. The ones that do seem to be for ipa's due to the higher hop utilization in said method. Lme is suppose to give home brewers darker color. Maybe that is why. I am probably over thinking this. It might be cheaper to split it. I'm under the impression that dme is superior to lme. Still most "kits" seem to come with both.

Did a little research some guys say it tastes a little different (twang). I wonder if maybe lme justs "mixes in" better during the boil or something.

Could also be that LME is often sold in prepackaged cans or bags. Formulating the recipe could have been done to use a full package and then make up the needed sugar with DME. The DME can be stored much easier after the package has been opened as long as it is kept dry. LME , not so much.

DME always seemed to me to be more geared to styles and is sometimes pre-hopped. LME seemed to be more geared to color.

When I extract brewed, I'd do a BIAB-esque mini mash to get flavors and color that I wanted and added enough light DME to get the ABV I wanted.

Back