American Wheat (Hoppy and Fruity)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew an american wheat beer. I've looked at some recipes on the form that are hoppy american wheat recipes and others that combine some fruit elements. I wanted to blend the two for this.

What do you think?

48% Wheat Malt
43% 2-row
5% Rye Malt
3% Honey Malt

FWH Centennial
15min Sorachi Ace
10min Citra
5min Sorachi Ace
Flameout: Centennial and Citra

***5min add a ton of fresh zest: 3 oranges, 1 grapefruit, 2 lemons.

Do not add that much citrus zest!

1-2 oz is plenty. I recently did a IPA(bordering on IIPA) for an iron brewer using grapefruit zest(2 oz a flame out) and the flavor really came through, despite the half pound of hops in the kettle.

For my American Wheat's(i brew often) I go with an OG in the low to mid 1050's, shoot for a FG of 1010-1012, and 20-30 IBUs.

You dont have your OG or hop addition amounts, but I would be hesitant to go anymore than 1.5oz of zest and I would also pick one fruit, otherwise the zest flavor will be pretty muddy.

FYI, the grapefruits were about 1 oz of zest each for comparison. In case you are not aware, be careful to leave the pith(white stuff) out of the kettle.

JMHO, disregard as wanted.

So did you think the grapefruit zest was a good addition?

Should I just use orange?

Here are the stats:
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.012
IBU: 35

If you like grapefruit, its good. The hops were amarillo and citra. The beer took 1st place, lol.

I think you would be fine with any of the three...it all depends the flavor you are going for. Next time you can choose a different one or start adding more fruits.

Alright decided to change this slightly.

.25 centennial FWh
.75 centennial at 10
.50 Amarillo at 10
.50 Amarillo at 0
1oz citra at 0

Will be doing zest of blood oranges and only 1 grapefruit.

OG-1.053
Ibu-32

Back