Original Specific Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duderay

Reaction score
Hey all,
This is my 1st post and 1st attempt at making wine. I started making dandelion wine and failed to obtain an original gravity (OG) because I didn't have a hydrometer. Now that I have a hydrometer how am I supposed to obtain a final gravity (OG)?

Since it has fermented already you cannot get an OG. When all activity stops you can check for FG - final gravity. Take measurements a couple of days apart. If the gravity is no longer falling you have reached the final gravity. You can use the OG measurement and the FG measurement and plug the numbers into a calculator to determine what the alcohol level is. But since you do not have an OG you will not be able to do it.

duderay said:
Hey all,
This is my 1st post and 1st attempt at making wine. I started making dandelion wine and failed to obtain an original gravity (OG) because I didn't have a hydrometer. Now that I have a hydrometer how am I supposed to obtain a final gravity (OG)?

You can estimate your OG by knowing how much sugar you added. On Jack Keller's winemaking site, there is a chart that will give you gravity reading based on water and sugar.

How much sugar, what kind, per gallon? The dandelions contain negligible sugar so your OG should be simple to calculate.

Thanks for all the input.... I used approximately 8 cups of regular white sugar, one gallon water, and juice of 2 oranges and 3 lemons

Thanks for all the input.... I used approximately 8 cups of regular white sugar, one gallon water, and juice of 2 oranges and 3 lemons

Ok, from sugar alone you have an OG of 1.160. 1 cup sugar per gallon provides SG of 0.020. The OJ/LG I cannot help you on since they vary. But at least you have an idea.

So, my dandelion wine has been fermenting since May,14. I have yet to check the SG with my hydrometer, but my airlock activity has slowed greatly. I heard that it can be good to leave on the lees for longer periods of time when using champagne yeast( as I did). So at what SG would you recommend racking at?

Back