Wine Kits and stirring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinRae

Reaction score
Hi...so I make mead and wine (from kits) regularly. When I make mead I stir a lot while the fermentation is going. Makes sense to get rid of CO2. Apparently it ages out better and faster...i'm sure there's a couple other reasons as well.

When I make wine kits I usually just follow the instructions. But now that I've really jumped into homebrewing I'm starting to ask questions not just follow the instructions. How come you're not supposed to stir a wine kit during fermentation? Wouldn't the same ideas apply about taste and aging?

I've definitely had a few kits that weren't too great either..typically home made wine taste. Right now I'm working on the wine expert italian amarone with grape skins..smells awesome!

Thanks,
Erin

Hi...so I make mead and wine (from kits) regularly. When I make mead I stir a lot while the fermentation is going. Makes sense to get rid of CO2. Apparently it ages out better and faster...i'm sure there's a couple other reasons as well.

When I make wine kits I usually just follow the instructions. But now that I've really jumped into homebrewing I'm starting to ask questions not just follow the instructions. How come you're not supposed to stir a wine kit during fermentation? Wouldn't the same ideas apply about taste and aging?

I've definitely had a few kits that weren't too great either..typically home made wine taste. Right now I'm working on the wine expert italian amarone with grape skins..smells awesome!

Thanks,
Erin

You only stir the first few days in the primary to provide oxygen for the yeast and to push down the cap of skins. After you transfer to your secondary you don't want to oxidize the wine.

Back