Saving a double batch of overcarbed beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkInBuffalo

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate/coffee stout that tasted great throughout the entire process until I opened the first bottle after 10 days and had a gusher. One week later-3 more gushers, 2 bottle bombs. I'm positive this beer was at FG before bottling. I brewed using Hershey's syrup in secondary and I'm afraid that when I moved it to bottling, I kicked up a bunch of the Hershey's, adding way to much "Priming sugar" to the bottling bucket. This was a ten gallon batch and I'm currently sitting on 96 bottles of overcarbed beer.

I thought of re-capping. If I'm expecting gushers in each bottle should I take caps off, wait for end of the "gush" and recap, or what? Have no experience with trying to salvage an overly carbed batch. Thanks.

Chill them down in the fridge, then bleed off the pressure very slowly. Put a quarter over the cap so your bottle opener doesn't bend it. Once the pressure is released use your capper to recrimp.

My beer too suffers from premature pressure relief. :) I got in a hurry somewhere during brewing. I used lactose to final sweeten along with cocoa nibs soaked in vodka. Anyway, I have had to relieve pressure in the bottles 9 or 10 times, to where they didn't blow over, and two weeks later, they were once again gushers. I open my bottles into a 44 oz soda cup, as that is the largest container I have to contain the excess foam. My beer has been bottled almost 6 months, and it still acts the same now as then. If I ever make another chocolate beer, I will make a smaller batch, and pay closer attention to my process detail.

Back