White Powder on Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
Ok so I just arrived home last night from a 3 week Belgian beer holiday and looked in on my American Amber that I transferred into secondary before I left and it has a white powdery film on top of it. Am I looking at a infection and having to dump this batch ? Ive never had that before. :(

post a pic.
pellicle's are usually described as Waxy films.
but definitely need a picture as sometimes its just someone being overly worried.

White powdery does sound like an infection. Did it look like this? If so, not good news for your amber. Your beer might end up a lot more like the beers you were just drinking in Belgium.

STP60252.jpg

sounds like an infection to me. I would bet dollars to donuts that the liquid in your airlock dried up just enough to let some foreign microbe in there. I've had it happen too. Although the beer ended up being pretty tasty. I bottled from under the pellicle and ended up with mini pellicles in the bottles. After a long time in the fridge they fell and the beer was still right on the mark. Hope yours ends up the same. Just be careful when you bottle infected beer, you could have some serious bombs.

The hell of this will be that it makes an awesome beer that you will not be able to replicate.

White powdery does sound like an infection. Did it look like this? If so, not good news for your amber. Your beer might end up a lot more like the beers you were just drinking in Belgium.

STP60252.jpg

It does look very similar to the pic you posted, just a lot thinner of a coating.

Rack from under it, Light prime, Bottle it, wrap them in several trash bags and put in a box if you can. Fridge them for 3 weeks minimum. If they survive pop one open. It may be funky in a really good way or a really bad way. Only one way to find out.

Back