wheat saison help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aleksander9

Reaction score
Hi! I got a crazy idea to make a wheat beer and then add saison yeast (3711). I have tweaked a little on "Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen", added a little more wheat and pilsner. And also a little rye, for a little spicy taste.
Original recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/

Heres my recipe:

Wheat saison
Batch size: 5,5 gallons
og.1,52-1,65 ,Fg. ?

56% wheat 7,3 lbs
32% Pilsner 4,2 lbs
12% Rye 1,5 lbs

65 c - 90 min, 76 c - 12 min

0.75 oz hallertauer, 45 min
0.25 oz hallertauer, 15 min

Wyeast 3711 (french saison)

Any thoughts?:):)

Saisons are a pretty loose style. If you think about it, the farmers used what they had.

If it was me I would flip the percetages of the wheat and pils, but your recipe will work.

Not knowing the AA of your hops, iI would shoot for a BU:GU ratio of .49 +or- a little and you should be good.

Mash temps look good. 3711 will ferment low and you should have a nice brew. The FG should be 1.002-1.004. Brew software will predict much higher. Even with a FG that low 3711 will give good mothfeel. Dry but good.

3711 laughs at your mash temp discussion. And then he spits at your feet.

I have magnum (hallertau) 14.6% (14.4% alpha). :)

Oh, that's different. Still grown in Hallertau, yes, so it is a Hallertauer, but...I hope you can understand the confusion. When most say "Hallertauer," they're talking Mittelfrueh, Hersbrucker, Tradition, that kind of hop. With the types of cultivars increasingly expanding over there, I suppose one cannot assume anymore.

UPDATE:
og. 1.55 fg. 1.02(3711, ofcourse!)

Smells green. Wit taste with some saison. Ultra smooth mouthfeel. Little to no aftertaste. So easy to drink, like a wit without the bitterness. Nice summer beer. Cant believe this is 7% alcohol!

If i will brew it again i will add more hops for aroma,taste. Probably add Cascade to the hop bill(late hopping) .maybe some coriander and orange peel to make it a hybrid style saison/wit.

2013-06-11 21.37.31.jpg

Back