Has anyone used this website?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaviao

Reaction score
So I am still REALLY new to all of this, my Mr. Beer kit is closing it's first week of fermentation, but I am trying to do research as I accumulate equipment for 5 gallon batches.

I was/am curious about recipes so I went to the ole google and I stumbled across this website.

http://beerrecipes.org/

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it and what you might think.

Thanks! :tank:

I've used them. Or I've looked at them. They were the first site I came across for recipes. As which much of the internet I had no really way of knowing which were good recipes and which were just joe-schmoes posting recipes.

So what I do now is find a recipe style I like, Research other recipes of about the same style, and note the similarities and differences and research the ingredients.

I used them to find the basis of the cream ale I made that I accidently poured down the drain.

Check out brewtoad.com for lots of recipes. This site also has a recipe database.
I like the book "brewing classic styles" which includes recipes for each style.

I would say at least 50% of the "published" recipes on the internet are flawed, but some people might like those recipes.
I would also say that 50% of my own recipes are probably flawed.

With that said, Brewing Classic Styles is a great reference for general starter recipes. And, if/when you want to get a bit more technical Designing Great Beers is a great resource.

I wouldn't say "flawed". Just ... uninteresting. I figure if I'm new to brewing, which I am, and I'm looking for recipes, which I am, then I really ought to try out either the really, really, good ones or the really classic ones. And, I admit, I have a hard time judging from the random recipe I find on the web just which recipes are worth doing.

But I figure if they can't all be great, they can all be bad either.

And one thing I'll give beer recipes over home brew talk recipes is they're easier to search. Unless there's a trick I don't know about. Which there probably is...

You can click on the lil hrat next to the word "recipes" under each person's name/avatar for their recipes.

Back