Fermenting Midwest's Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcodd87

Reaction score
ingredients for this recipe include 6 lb. Dark liquid malt extract, 6 lb. Amber liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Caramel 120L, 8 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains, 3 oz. Glacier and 1 oz. Willamette.

Just finished this on 5-28-13 and started to ferment. Im fermenting it pretty low for the start,roughly about 62 degrees. My question is when should i start increasing the temperature. Being that it is a very high SG 1.098, my guess would be to allow a slight warming after the initial jump start of fermentation to allow the yeast to completely do their job.

Plan to primary for about 3-4 weeks, then transfer to a secondary carboy for the long haul, hopefully as long as i can wait.

Any input or ideas would be appreciated GREATLY!!!

IMO, you begin raising the temperature as the active fermentation begins to slow and gently rouse the yeast by agitating the vessel. You don't mention the yeast so I will assume a clean ale yeast so I would raise to about 68 and hold until FG, then rack to secondary and let it bulk condition.

Latest posts

Back