aging beers in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I just acquired a second fridge so I can store more of my beer cold. However, I was wondering if the fridge is the best place to keep beers like barleywine, RIS, wee heavy, etc. Or should I continue to cellar these out of the fridge (where my temps may range from 55-75°F over the course of the year)? Are there any guidelines about at what temps various styles should be aged?

I understand something like 50-55 to be good cellering temps, you may need to use an external thermostat to run the fridge that warm.

If you are looking to age, cellar temps are the ticket. Once you get into fridge temps, you're not going to do much aging... but the beer would conceivably keep longer.

I've heard that you should not age any corked beer in a refrigerator. It will dry it out and cause oxidation.

Seems fine for capped brews

I would leave them at room temp and do your best to keep them getting too too warm, maybe move them into a fridge when it gets really hot outside. The fridge isn't my storage place of choice- not much is going to mature in those temps. More like lagering, but not quite cold enough to get the benefits of lagering.

My thoughts as well. I aged my Whiskely Ale & Burton Ale for some 10 weeks at room temps before fridging them. But putting them in the basement after they've had time to carbonate & condition to a decent level would be better I think for long term aging at temps where the aging process could be slowed a little to prevent them from going bad before they mature properly.

Back