Chilling THROUGH the IC with ice bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartyParty

Reaction score
So a buddy and I decided to try and chill 10 gallons of wort with his 50' copper chiller my immersing the chiller in a bucket of ice water. Then using his chugger pump we ran the wort of from the kettle and into the chiller. It was coming out of the chiller at 70 degrees. Only question was what do to get all the wort out your hoses and pump? How are you clearing the lines?

Good advice there HHDC. Thanks. My other question is how do you clear the lines of the chiller and hoses? As soon as the kettle is dry the dip tube is just sucking air. Then the pump stops working and you have all those lines full of wort. I was hoping someone had a fix for that. I think running clean water through the pump behind the wort would work as long as you don't pump the water into your carboy.

Oooooh I misunderstood what you meant by clear.

I usually just plug the line into my HLT and pump till the wort just starts to get lighter colored and shut 'er down. Was worried about possible infection at first but I've never had a proble,

I just plan for a small amount of loss in the chiller, tube, and pump in all my recipes. One of the brewers in my local club pulls the line off the kettle and hooks up a nozzle hooked up to one of his splits off the CO2 tank. He forces it through with the pressure. It seems like a lot of work for a cup or two worth of wort.

Thanks for the feed back guys. This would also seem to be an issue when running a HERMS system.

When I'm done with my chiller I just hold it upside down to drain out the water, just do the same for the wort? Just do it so water doesn't drip in also.

Back