The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Donovan wants to invest in the time that Klinsmann wants him to invest. Klinsmann comes from a culture where the players eat, sleep and breathe soccer, and I don't think Landon wants to do that.

Well, if klinsmann wants that badly enough that he would leave an in-form, better than the alternatives (assuming he does get back in form, of course), Donovan off the team for that reason only, then that's exactly to my point about who's pride it is that would be responsible. And it wouldn't be landon's. :p

On the topic of Bornstein, personally I think he's a good player who has had to pick up the slack for two aging CBs

On the topic of Bornstein, personally I think he's a good player who has had to pick up the slack for two aging CBs

Not in the past two years, because he hasn't even been good enough to see the field for club or country. So who's he picking up slack for?

Can't believe Norwich lost to Aston Villa . Hopefully Man U and Chelsea bring it tomorrow and put on a good show can't wait.

Arsenal is destined for the 3rd spot so you better simmer down there.

Hopefully it's better then the Liverpool vs Everton Darby. What's worse then a 0-0 draw?

bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Spurs... Win out.... Third?!?!

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Do facts hurt? If Chelsea loses or even draws today. Spurs win out and they clinch the third spot, not saying they will but it's the truth. Spurs don't have an easy finish, but more improbable things have happened in the World of Soccer.

Do facts hurt? If Chelsea loses or even draws today. Spurs win out and they clinch the third spot, not saying they will but it's the truth. Spurs don't have an easy finish, but more improbable things have happened in the World of Soccer.

I think you're ignoring the fact that Spurs are consummate choke artists.

You're at Chelsea, at Stoke then home to Sunderland. That's a lot of heavy lifting for Bale to do. Especially those first two fixtures....

It won't be easy. But thes Spurs can do it. Of course if Chelsea wins today then it's just back to playign for 4th, which will require a win at Stamford Bridge since Chelsea's last 2 games should be an easy 6 points.

It's almost like Man U lost on purpose I really think they want Garth bale & the hot spurs to miss cl

Anyways. I watched the Spurs v Southampton game live. Spurs were actually a bit lucky to win that. A more fair result would have been a home draw or defeat for them against a team near the bottom. That's not really inspiring! Saints lost due to not taking their chances, and it was only really another great strike from Bale that was the difference after even he, had a lack lustre game. Spurs were certainly not what I would have expected from a team with high aspirations.

Anyways. I watched the Spurs v Southampton game live. Spurs were actually a bit lucky to win that. A more fair result would have been a home draw or defeat for them against a team near the bottom. That's not really inspiring! Saints lost due to not taking their chances, and it was only really another great strike from Bale that was the difference after even he, had a lack lustre game. Spurs were certainly not what I would have expected from a team with high aspirations.

This exactly. All it would have taken was the Southampton striker (forgot his name) tracking back and closing down bale when he cut in and we'd be looking at a 0-0 draw.

This exactly. All it would have taken was the Southampton striker (forgot his name) tracking back and closing down bale when he cut in and we'd be looking at a 0-0 draw.

I was really getting excited about the possibility of spurs dropping points.
Then they picked up 3 points and Arsenal barely beat one of the worst teams in PL history. I'm very nervous Arsenal might wind up 5th.

I was really getting excited about the possibility of spurs dropping points.
Then they picked up 3 points and Arsenal barely beat one of the worst teams in PL history. I'm very nervous Arsenal might wind up 5th.

Indeed, playing Wigan and Newcastle. Wigan is in the thick of the relegation fight while Newcastle, when we play them, might very well be in the same position. I hate playing teams who are playing for their lives....

Haha. It's just I don't think Manu put out their strongest team.

Vidic did look awesome though he made ba his ***** today. Best player for Man U today.

Rooney looked horrible

Judging by Fergie's recent comments (read last line of first column and top three of second) you look to be right. Although I doubt it's out of spite for Spurs. It appears that they're just coasting now. I do appreciate Fergie making it hard for us and then taking his foot off the gas when they played Chelsea....

905469_10200582860967641_428963123_o_zps18df6827.jpg

Indeed, playing Wigan and Newcastle. Wigan is in the thick of the relegation fight while Newcastle, when we play them, might very well be in the same position. I hate playing teams who are playing for their lives....

Even if we do beat an in form Wigan & Newcastle at home, Spurs could win out and poof......Europa League, our summer transfer targets get cut in half, and Wenger probably leaves.

Over all a uneventful weekend for BPL. No matter which game you watched there wasn't a lot of effort from any team.

Bales shot should have been shut down, and could have been easily.

Rena appears to be getting too old to stand up, but Everton nor Liverpool showed anything worthy of a win.

Davids little flop in the corner was the only point in a dull game.

Was only able to catch RSL vs Van which was a little more exciting to watch, but more effect from the ref than from the players. Which seemed to be the thread for the week end.

Even if we do beat an in form Wigan & Newcastle at home, Spurs could win out and poof......Europa League, our summer transfer targets get cut in half, and Wenger probably leaves.

True, but they're at Chelsea and then at Stoke before finishing the season at home to Sunderland.

Since Chelsea are fighting them for a CL spot I look for them to have a tough slog at the bridge and it's never easy to play Stoke at theirs. Both of those fixtures alone could doom their fight.

Yea, Arsenal weren't convincing against a QPR side playing out their last few in the PL, but Spurs haven't looked very convincing either. Without some shoddy defending and Bale's magic left foot they would have dropped points against a less than stellar Southampton.

Chelsea vs Tottenham should be good

It was awesome listening BBC 5 live call in show all the chelsea fans were saying how benitez wasn't all that bad and that maybe they had misjudged him and that maybe he should stay.

HaHa

Anybody pay attention to the promotion fight in the championship? Hull City go up after a bunch of dramatic football. Penalties, premature pitch invasions....

heard about it. Missed penalty then the other team marches gets a penalty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo.../Hull-City-2-Cardiff-City-2-match-report.html

It's got to be one of the greatest feelings in world when your club gets promoted to the premiere league.

Yea, I was up at the crack of dawn on Saturday so I caught the Hull game live. Didn't even realize the implications of the game when I turned it on. It was tense the whole game as they kept updating the table as goals went in. Then they switched to the Watford game and kept a corner box of all the Hull players watching the Watford game in the dressing room. It was pretty freaking awesome since you don't get that promotion fight in the PL. You do get the CL fight, but that doesn't seem to have the same urgency.

Pretty crazy news coming out of England this morning.
Knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, but didn't see it coming as soon as it did.

Pretty crazy news coming out of England this morning.
Knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, but didn't see it coming as soon as it did.

I assume you refer to Sir Alex's retirement.

Out of curiosity, was there a reason you wanted to post that there was news, but not share the news with those who might not know the news? :drunk:

So now I guess we get to see if those who have been predicting David Moyes as the natural replacement for the past few years have been correct.

I assume you refer to Sir Alex's retirement.

Out of curiosity, was there a reason you wanted to post that there was news, but not share the news with those who might not know the news? :drunk:

I just assumed most people had heard the news. It was at the very least a front page sub-story on the sports websites.

Sorry for the breach of conduct.

So what are the odds that Jose Mourinho doesn't join Man U? He's planning on leaving Bernabeu only other suitor mentioned is returning to Chelsea, but unless all he cares about is money, I can't imagine he'd pass up Man U who are a much better squad and could be in the UCL mix next year. I'd imagine him leaving Real is an indicator he's not all about the money. I have a hunch (though I may be entirely wrong) that Sir Alex and Mourinho have been talking in private about Fergie retiring and Mourinho taking over. Coudl be wrong of course. Only other guy I see United taking would be Moyes, but I don't know if his style meshes with Man U.

Can't believe he is retiring. Their will never be another manager like Sir Alex Ferguson again.,

So what are the odds that Jose Mourinho doesn't join Man U? He's planning on leaving Bernabeu only other suitor mentioned is returning to Chelsea, but unless all he cares about is money, I can't imagine he'd pass up Man U who are a much better squad and could be in the UCL mix next year. I'd imagine him leaving Real is an indicator he's not all about the money. I have a hunch (though I may be entirely wrong) that Sir Alex and Mourinho have been talking in private about Fergie retiring and Mourinho taking over. Coudl be wrong of course. Only other guy I see United taking would be Moyes, but I don't know if his style meshes with Man U.

Funny you should mention that. As soon as I heard the news about SAF, i immediately thought....Chelsea fans are gonna be pissed when Mourinho passes up London and heads straight for Manchester.

I believe you are right about SAF and Mourinho having some behind the scenes meetings. A few of which have been well covered by the UK tabloids.

Most are tipping David Moyes to take the job...
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-moyes-emerges-favourite-united-job-112626477.html

Back