Had a problem while bottling my 1st batch of Edwort's Apfelwein today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithman

Reaction score
I had the nozzle on my bottling bucket crack and start trickling apfelwein onto my floor just as I got ready to hook up my racking cane today. I rushed the wine and bucket to a clean and sanitized bucket I had handy. I had to briskly dump the wine into the bucket to save the last 4.5 gallons of the 5 I started with.

The question is, will the considerable bit of sloshing involved in that have let enough oxygen into the wine to cause trouble? It seems like the drill powered whisk I used to degas would have added more air than the dumping from one bucket to the other.

Thoughts?

I would not be concerned, except for using a whisk to degas with. A whisk is made to whip things, incorporating oxygen into things--not something you want to do when degassing.

I would not be concerned, except for using a whisk to degas with. A whisk is made to whip things, incorporating oxygen into things--not something you want to do when degassing.

I mean whisk in a generic sense. I used a paddle-type arrangement made of a plastic coat hanger per a video I saw on the forum here.

Latest posts

Back