Antibiotics- Take them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Firstly, its a fact that I'm an idiot. Years ago when I went to the dentist he saw a cavity in between two teeth the size of a poppyseed. He told me I should come back and get it filled. I never did.

It should have come as no surprise when one started throbbing and the other rotted and cleaved in 2 pieces. Root canals and crowns for this guy.

My new dentist is pretty dang good. My pain level after the double root canals was right about a 1 out of 10. He wrote me a script for percoset, but I barely needed advil. Why pay right? He also wrote me a script for ammoxicilin, but filling that can wait until tomorrow morning right?

Wrong.

Somewhere about 9pm that night I feel very sluggish. So I finished up what I was watching and went to bed. Its been a long day, maybe Im just tired. Thats when the body aches and the feeling of cold started. Got two more blankets and went back to bed. 4am the body, now shivering, tells me "James... if you dont get to the bathroom now, bad things will happen. My body was right. Remember the night before a colonoscopy? Same thing. I try to go back to bed, and now the freezing cold has been replaced with a flop sweat. My joints, my back and my head are killing me.

Needless to say I "worked from home" the next day... which involved wrapping myself in a blanket and reading my emails and taking care of a few things that couldnt wait. As soon as the pharmacy was open I walked the 4 blocks (in a heavy coat and thick socks), and took the first dose in the store.

24 hours later, I was feeling much better.

So yeah... I must have caught a pretty serious infection in no time at all. HBT, take care of your teeth, and take your antibiotics when prescribed, or you too can be as dumb and miserable as Creamy.

PS. Fun fact! Antibiotics can completely nullify most forms of birth control! But you probably already knew that from the passage in size 6 font buried in the drug interaction information. Not all that important, I agree.

Firstly, glad to hear you're feeling better.

Secondly, it's only a $%^^&# fun fact when you read about it or it happens to someone else. Thanks to that fun fact I have 3 kids instead of two :D

PS. Fun fact! Antibiotics can completely nullify most forms of birth control! But you probably already knew that from the passage in size 6 font buried in the drug interaction information. Not all that important, I agree.

This is the difference between a good pharmacist and a bad pharmacist. A good pharmacist will take a look at what else you're on that has interactions and consult accordingly and a prime example of why you should use a single pharmacy and not use a few local places to save a couple bucks on your generics monthly.

Anyways, pretty sure you're not preggo Creamy. That bulge you starting to notice must just be all that delicious soup. :p

Since heart surgery I have to take antibiotics before every dental procedure, even a cleaning. The risk is that nasty stuff from our mouth can get into our bloodstream and float it's way into my heart.

Since heart surgery I have to take antibiotics before every dental procedure, even a cleaning. The risk is that nasty stuff from our mouth can get into our bloodstream and float it's way into my heart.

My son has too also

Screw antibiotics. All they do is wreck your liver and kidneys. They take years off your drinking ability. They also lower your immune system. Make your body weaker to fight off infections on its own.

And vaccinations. Screw them too. All they do is give you the disease, and a nanobot tracker. Same as the dentist.

Zuljin said:
Screw antibiotics. All they do is wreck your liver and kidneys. They take years off your drinking ability. They also lower your immune system. Make your body weaker to fight off infections on its own.

And vaccinations. Screw them too. All they do is give you the disease, and a nanobot tracker. Same as the dentist.

Ladies and gentlemen, it seems we have a troll in our midst...

I suffer from the testosterone-driven "just tough it out" mentality. I've used them less than 10x in the last 40 years. When I take antibiotics, they work wonders. My kids took them for every earache they ever had. It takes them much longer to recover than me when using them. 30 years ago doctors started over-prescribing and only created more virulent disease strains and a generation of patients resistant to antibiotic therapy.

Another case of unintended consequences.

Ah yes, endocarditis...it's a bvtch; best of luck Revvy.

Good luck Creamy, I really hope all is better. Maybe some of your JOAM (maybe not okra) will ease your pain.

Revvy, nice link.

I wonder if that sofa and the brew buckets are still on the portch?

Insights into a dark, or maybe just terribly dimmed, mind.

Not taking care of your teeth its dangerous. A lot of nasty infections start there and can spread to the rest of your body. There are links between poor dental care and heart attacks, diabetes, and strokes. There are some studies that indicate poor dental health can take years off of your lifespan.

Revvy said:
We tolerate him because every now and then he drops a bomb of sheer brilliance on us.

Of course it HAS been awhile and he's due. :drunk:

Oh wow, that was something else. I have no words to properly describe what I have just read. As it pertains to the post, I do agree that these drugs are over-perscribed, but there is still a legitimate need for them. I have had to take them a handful of times in the last decade, but most recently when I had strep it was good that I got them.

Back