Kolsch fermentation timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeR

Reaction score
Being I just started using full size kegs for my primary fermentation, I just put a Kolsch I brewed in a keg, and then in to my ferm chamber at 60deg. I cant bloody see anything. I know that 2 weeks should be good, but I’m feeling like I should wait 3 weeks before crash cooling and then on to kegging. Then wait another 2-3 weeks before drinking.

Sound about right…?

I used the Kolsch Wyeast 2565 yeast and brewed using a single decoction 122>152>168

It stopped bubbling awhile ago.

I don’t like this not being able to see anything… i know, trust the process..

CR-

I did two weeks at 62

Pulled it out for 2-3 days at 72 for a Diacetyl Rest

Then put it back for the lagering...

DPB

I got the best "at-ta boys" ever for this beer...

My experience is that longer is better with a Kolsch. Yeah, I know. That's what she said.

But anyway, I've bottled a couple batches of Kolsch and kegged one. With all three, they kept getting better with time. Even when they started off pretty darn good.

I did two weeks at 62
Pulled it out for 2-3 days at 72 for a Diacetyl Rest
Then put it back for the lagering...
DPB
I got the best "at-ta boys" ever for this beer...

So I brewed this on 5/25/13, and tomorrow (6/8/13) will be 2 weeks at 60deg in the ferm chamber. So by what your saying it would be good to bring it up to 72deg for 2-3 days, then cold crash it, keg it, then lager it.

The longer I lager it the better.

nice.

Mine was a 3 week primary due to a stalled fermentation at 60 degrees. Contemplated pitching more yeast, but just decided to let it come up to room temp (68-70). It worked. Then I lagered for about 4 weeks, 2 with dry hops. Turned out great.

Back