If you LOVE your job...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work at a seafood smoker

images

You're a hero. Come Sundays during the NFL season the 10:00 am game wouldn't be the same without my coffee and bagel with lox, cream cheese, onions and capers. You make my life better.

I do Historic Preservation Restoration and Planning. It varies depending on the contract somedays I get dirty, some days I write grants, some I teach. I love the challange and the variety. Although I am starting to get tired of working at heights as I get older. I love that one day I am a mason, next a carpenter, welder, its fun to play with different media so I can keep my skills sharp. Lately I have been commissioned to build furniture so thats fun.

1337965753792.jpg

P1240186.jpg

P1010226.jpg

wolfstar said:
This is Kaleel, one of the many rescued pups that have grace Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary...

The image of me holding him is shortly after we busted him out of jail

The image of the three pups is his new home and Kaleel full grown!!!

He was left for dead near Coolidge Arizona. The local animal control picked him up and he was put on the e list (euthanasia list)...We saved him, and now he is in a wonderful home!!!

Yeah, I F*n love my job!

Keep up the good work, as a fellow dog lover I applaud what you are doing.

brewmcq said:
None of these pictures are of me.. I'd most likely get fired..

Some days are like this:

Others are like this:

Some are like this:

Most days are like this:

But when it comes right down to it, this is what I do:

liquiditynerd said:
I do Historic Preservation Restoration and Planning. It varies depending on the contract somedays I get dirty, some days I write grants, some I teach. I love the challange and the variety. Although I am starting to get tired of working at heights as I get older. I love that one day I am a mason, next a carpenter, welder, its fun to play with different media so I can keep my skills sharp. Lately I have been commissioned to build furniture so thats fun.

Sounds like a very interesting job! Thanks for keeping the old stuff around. :)

Thanks Sharona Zamboni! You had Very nice words for that last coffee table I built. I hope this thread gets more legs than the projects thread, same thinking TBaggins!

I always thought that if you love your job you don't have enough hobbies. But after seeing the cool stuff you people get to do for a living I've changed my mind. Coming from an accountant sitting at a desk for the rest of his life.

The machinists and the pilots win for wow factor, but I say we all help the salmon-guy and the avocado-guy to organize a massive HBT feast!

The only question is...what will we drink? :D

I have an 'in' for avocado honey! :rockin: still haven't made avocado honey ale though haha

quality control engineer at a fleshlight factory.

loving the job is a requirement.

No pictures though.

Just kidding. I'm a software engineer, writing software that helps keep airplanes and helicopters in the air.

Again no pictures. a desk with several computers on it isn't very exciting.

Mechanical Engineer doing HVAC design in new and existing buildings. Thought I wouldn't like it when I accepted my first position but have since realized I love what I do. Essentially play with autocad and find ways to blow air. No pics. But if you are comfortable sitting at your desk, you have someone like me to thank. If not, blame the contractor for installing it wrong.

Yeah, that's exactly my situation. We are aF job shop making components mainly for medical (optometry) and oil and gas exploration. I also take parts from print forward, I'm using Gibbs CAM/CAD. The main frustration is the owners, if they would only stay home the job would be easier. I don't like production work, and haven't had to do too much lately as we only have a couple setup guys now. Most of our lots are 250 pieces or less so nothing is ever up for too long.

Yeah, that production stuff sucks. I did a lot of it when I started this job, but I quickly earned the respect of the senior welders and QC and everybody else so I usually get singled out for the larger/more complicated custom projects. I like the challenge. This week I just started a new project over the road. Flew us to Mass. to add a big slide at Six Flags. We made all the steel inhouse and assembling it in the field. Sunday we drive to DC and start another.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151574360840842&l=7990309888991282305

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151574418510842&l=6413682653896058502

Heres an older project, for you ferrous non-ferrous heads. I love working in cemeteries. Ben Franklin said "Show me your cemeteries and I will tell you about your culture" (or at least that has been attributed to him)

I was thinking about this thread while carving some sandstone yesterday and wanted to share this. Part of my duties whilst working in the cemetery was to bury folks. yup a couple of college degrees and here I am digging freakin graves. A couple really hit home, the wife, guy comes in and says my wife got diagnosed with a rare cancer and the doc says she has a month to live, I need a plot. Three days later I'm covering her grave while the whole family, a 2,3,5 yr old stand in shock. the GI Jane, a kid and a girl come in and say they are looking for a grave, "sure whats the name?" "Yup right here, would you like me to show you?" Get out there and there are two names, husband and wife, only birth dates, I look and they're one year younger than me. I'm speechless, the husband sees my look and the wife says, yea one tour in Afghan and I just got back from Iraq, terminal brain cancer. Just want to see where I'll be this summer. I still get a tear in my eye when I remember them.

Moral of the story- You better love what you do cause you might just not get to do it tomorrow.

currie lot lgs northwest perspec before.jpg

Currie NW perspec after.jpg

eagle back.jpg

J in archway.jpg

eagle back in prog of sandblasting.jpg

quality control engineer at a fleshlight factory.

loving the job is a requirement.

No pictures though.

Just kidding. I'm a software engineer, writing software that helps keep airplanes and helicopters in the air.

Again no pictures. a desk with several computers on it isn't very exciting.

Oh I had to google fleshlight. I had no idea:cross:

I'm an internal auditor for a large construction company. I hate my job, and am actively trying to figure something else out. Mostly I miss home, being from CO and living in NE is no longer agreeing with me.

Ok, I had an office job I hate, and now I have one that I like...boring pics. But in between those two jobs this was me at work, and a few activities I got to do at work

Relaxing in downtime
bKxfs9Z.jpg

not me and not my mountain, but this was a morning routine

Wish I has a power skiing shot for right here...maybe I'll find one later.

Last edited by a moderator:
My job takes me here every year
Fitzroy_2.jpg

And here every year
new_zealand_3.jpg

And sometimes here
berry-island.jpg

But I sit behind a desk a lot and the hours are very irregular and the pay is low.

Sorry, I hate my job. Pay is good. Bennies are good. Hours suck. Fellow employees suck (mostly). Although it's nice to see that there are some that like/love what they do. It gives me something to aspire to.

You work for UPS as well?

I ran a fork truck for about eight years before I finally got to put my mechanical/electrical engineering schooling to work. Now I'm designing and programming PLCs for vacuum heat treat furnaces. Most of the time I'm sitting at a desk playing with solidworks or RSLogix, but every once in a while I get to work in the shop or in the field for furnace start up! It's a lot better than simply pulling orders at a RTA furniture warehouse. Here's some pics of our most recent furnace; still in assembly (I'm the one InThe dark blue shirt wearing a hat):

image-4267897063.jpg

image-1229647053.jpg

image-314862925.jpg

image-852167358.jpg

image-2951014062.jpg

image-4064135809.jpg

image-3518000221.jpg

tyzippers said:
I ran a fork truck for about eight years before I finally got to put my mechanical/electrical engineering schooling to work. Now I'm designing and programming PLCs for vacuum heat treat furnaces. Most of the time I'm sitting at a desk playing with solidworks or RSLogix, but every once in a while I get to work in the shop or in the field for furnace start up! It's a lot better than simply pulling orders at a RTA furniture warehouse. Here's some pics of our most recent furnace; still in assembly (I'm the one InThe dark blue shirt wearing a hat):

Interesting. Are you familiar with Retech Systems? They are a local outfit who manufacture vacuum/positive pressure arc furnaces, and have been here since the 60's. They are making a similar product. There can't be too many places making this kind of item.

Electrician for a certain passenger rail road. Most days I love my job. Work in the back shops where we do heavy overhaul and maintenance on the equipment, so don't have to deal with the public. We work on everything from the Acela, the newer HHPs, to the old AEM-7 and even older diesels. Work in a 100+ year old building with lots of history. Have some pics somewhere with steam locos, but I can't find them yet. Last pic is of me changing a contactor on a diesel. Not a good pic, but a friend snuck up and took it. They say catching a picture of me working is harder than getting one of a sasquatch. Some friends I have.....

Before and now.....

Am 2.jpg

am 1.jpg

c2007wilm8.jpg

sas.jpg

Hammy71 said:
Electrician for a certain passenger rail road. Most days I love my job. Work in the back shops where we do heavy overhaul and maintenance on the equipment, so don't have to deal with the public. We work on everything from the Acela, the newer HHPs, to the old AEM-7 and even older diesels. Work in a 100+ year old building with lots of history. Have some pics somewhere with steam locos, but I can't find them yet. Last pic is of me changing a contactor on a diesel. Not a good pic, but a friend snuck up and took it. They say catching a picture of me working is harder than getting one of a sasquatch. Some friends I have.....

Before and now.....

Are you John Galt?

CGVT said:
I found this today. Ha!

Haha, I knew it! I can hear it now, ya know we need to be patrolling the Snapper Banks more often. I heard there is a lot of "trafficking" this time of the season.

bottlebomber said:
Interesting. Are you familiar with Retech Systems? They are a local outfit who manufacture vacuum/positive pressure arc furnaces, and have been here since the 60's. They are making a similar product. There can't be too many places making this kind of item.

Surprisingly enough I have not heard of them! However, looking at their website, it looks like we make different furnaces. I've found that there are a surprisingly large number of different types of furnaces out there! Ours are geared toward heat treating, sintering, chrome degassing, and recently tungsten carbide reclamation. Seems that our biggest competitors are Ipsen/Abar and Seko/Warwick. One of them used to be Sunbeam, but I don't remember.

The thing I find so surprising is how similar designing a control system for a furnace is to designing a control system for a home brewing rig! I'm always referencing stuff I've researched for my rig. Though we have to use the real good industry accepted stuff like Allen Bradley. Thank God it's not my money...wait. It's a government job. Guess it is my money.

Thank you everyone for sharing! ...I'm seeing some really cool stuff, well, we all are really. I haven't taken many pics lately but have a few videos which I haven't postd yet

Back