Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my first batch of this into the fermenter today. Some modifications... I used Centennial @ 60 and Citra @ 10 and 5. No pepper. Adding honey when primary starts to slow down. I'm probably going to do a second batch in a few weeks with pale malt instead of pilsner, same hops I used this time, and I think I'll use the pepper. Probably will dry hop both batches with an ounce of Citra as well. So a fairly altered recipe, but in the spirit.

I kegged my partial boil version of this recipe 4 days ago and tried it today for the first time. It's absolutely wonderful. I'm fairly new to saisons but it really reminds me of saison dupont. The only modifications I made to the recipe was a bit of DME to make up for partial boil efficiency loss and I used Danstar Belle Saison dry yeast instead of the Wyeast.

I love that the very spirit of saisons is alive and doing well in my thread, too often I see people panic that they don't have a specific ingredient and it's freak out time!

Saisons were brewed with what was on hand following a basic recipe, if something was in short demand, there was a substitute made, no fussing, it was just part of farm life.

I dreamed up this recipe with that mindset and honestly..... What I had in my pantry and brewing closet.

Why did I use the honey I did and in that quantity? It was all I had in the cupboard.

It's good to see people making substitutions based on what they have, or what's available in their LHBS.

This makes their beer just that... THEIR beer, not mine!

Hooray farmhouse ingenuity!

Well put. I'm brewing this tomorrow but racking onto a California ale / Belgian wit yeast cake. Should be pretty good.

Mine's about 3-4 weeks in the bottle. Really shining thru. Hindsight I'd probably omit the lemon peel & up the pepper, otherwise pretty solid

G7GJmy8yqB7NZyLkhKzdYJR7dKgqoZVTcK4xo8u10e0

Brewed this one up today, but decided to try Belle's Saison dry yeast. Also, realized after all was said and done, I totally forgot to pick up the flaked oats at my LHBS. However, I did bump up the Pils to 9.5# instead of 8.5#, do to my somewhat low efficiency.

And couldn't get Sorachi Ace, so I decided to try Motueka, which I'd wanted to try before anyway. Changed up the hop schedule to this:

FWH- .5oz Willamette, .25oz Motueka

30 minutes- .5oz Willamette
10 minutes- 1 oz Willamette
5 minutes- .75 oz Motueka

Any opinion's on how the missing flaked oats will effect it?

:mug:

I want to brew a partial mash version of this beer.

I'm thinking :
2 lbs Pale Malt 2-Row (Can't get Pilsner, Should I use Pilsen instead ?)
mashed with
0.5 lbs Caramunich Malt
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats

Then
4 lbs Light DME (2 lbs at 60min, 2lbs at 15min)
1 lbs Wheat DME (at 10min)
1 lbs Honey (Boil for 5min)

Does this sound right ?? In Beersmith I get the target OG of 1.061
Should I keep the same amount of hops ? (Beersmith gives me 51.9 IBU if I keep the same Hops addition with partial mash)

Any advice ?

stirlingtrent said:
Brewed this one up today, but decided to try Belle's Saison dry yeast. Also, realized after all was said and done, I totally forgot to pick up the flaked oats at my LHBS. However, I did bump up the Pils to 9.5# instead of 8.5#, do to my somewhat low efficiency.

And couldn't get Sorachi Ace, so I decided to try Motueka, which I'd wanted to try before anyway. Changed up the hop schedule to this:

FWH- .5oz Willamette, .25oz Motueka

30 minutes- .5oz Willamette
10 minutes- 1 oz Willamette
5 minutes- .75 oz Motueka

Any opinion's on how the missing flaked oats will effect it?

:mug:

My wife always makes granola and oatmeal so I just substitute Quaker rolled oats all the time. They are pretty much the same thing. You could have mashed a little higher for more body. It may be a little thin but should still be delicious.

Don't skip the flaked oats. I agree just use old fashioned Quaker oats if the lhbs ran out or whatever other reason you're considering skipping.

I want to brew a partial mash version of this beer.

I'm thinking :
2 lbs Pale Malt 2-Row (Can't get Pilsner, Should I use Pilsen instead ?)
mashed with
0.5 lbs Caramunich Malt
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats

Then
4 lbs Light DME (2 lbs at 60min, 2lbs at 15min)
1 lbs Wheat DME (at 10min)
1 lbs Honey (Boil for 5min)

Does this sound right ?? In Beersmith I get the target OG of 1.061
Should I keep the same amount of hops ? (Beersmith gives me 51.9 IBU if I keep the same Hops addition with partial mash)

Any advice ?

I think this will leave you a little low on the Wheat % since Wheat DME is usually ~60% wheat. If you can find Pilsen DME, you could use that instead of light DME.

See post #366 for the PM recipe I brewed Here

I just tried a two week sample of this last night and it was delicious! The spice notes that were super heavy at bottling seem to have mellowed with a little carbonation. I'll definitely be enjoying this brew as the weather is warming up!

No a silicon one but assumed it must have shorted out. Bottling it this weekend.

All the work that I put into it and I mess up with a cheap digital thermometer. Oh well at least I think I'll be able to drink my mistake :)

Robert

Dohhhh!

It wasn't one of those braided stainless probe style ones was it?

I added white pepper to mine because I have about 10lbs of it and that is what I use. My grandfather picked it up off a ship from India in the late 60's early 70's and has been handed down. I'm sure some of you may think it's odd but I really like it. Anyways that is what I had on hand! :mug:

Robert

I love that the very spirit of saisons is alive and doing well in my thread, too often I see people panic that they don't have a specific ingredient and it's freak out time!

Saisons were brewed with what was on hand following a basic recipe, if something was in short demand, there was a substitute made, no fussing, it was just part of farm life.

I dreamed up this recipe with that mindset and honestly..... What I had in my pantry and brewing closet.

Why did I use the honey I did and in that quantity? It was all I had in the cupboard.

It's good to see people making substitutions based on what they have, or what's available in their LHBS.

This makes their beer just that... THEIR beer, not mine!

Hooray farmhouse ingenuity!

Pic from my 2-week sample, enjoyed last night. Decent carb already, but should get a bit better. Taste is already pretty phenomenal though!

image-2052174132.jpg

BGBC said:
Pic from my 2-week sample, enjoyed last night. Decent carb already, but should get a bit better. Taste is already pretty phenomenal though!

Nice color and glass. Can't wait to taste mine

I brewed this up 8 days ago as my first Saison and just had a taste, it is phenomonal. I never used caramunich before but I like the maltiness it added. I brewed it as posted except added honey at flameout, subbed EKG for Fuggles and used the Belle Saison yeast.

I pitched at 68, let rise to 72 for 2 days then bumped up throughout the week to hit 90. How long is everyone letting this ferment for? I'm thinking 3 weeks then bottle with the left over honey.

3 sounds good. It's at 1.004 now down from 1.062, I might get another point or 2 out of it. Any recommendations as to how long to keep it at 90?

Just tapped the keg for first sample. Fantastic!! My wife even said the balance was outstanding and she has a much better palate than I do. I might add a touch more pepper next time as I would like a bit of a bite. Maybe a couple more week it will come through more. I made it as is, no modifications. Great recipe! Thanks!!

I'll be brewing this on Saturday (BIAB).

Here is my plan. First off, I have some different hops on hand that I am using up, so I have an ounce of Soriachi Ace and two ounces of Mt Hood (in place of fuggles). I haven't gone through the whole thread, but it seems everyone is happy with the schedule?

Second, I have the wlp565 dupont strain on hand. I have heard it likes heat stress, of which I have more than enough here in ABQ. If it stops on me, I hear people drop SA-05 or some other dry english yeast (notty might be a good one too) on it to finish. I ain't too worried about it.

Does this sound doable? Any critiques or worries?

So after three days in the primary, I got this from 1.059 down to about 1.010, still with some visible signs of fermentation. Started around 70º and over three days got it up to about 84º. That might be about as warm as I can get it for the remainder. Of course, after taking a gravity reading, I had to sample the 3 day old product, and at that point it was pretty solventy. Could that just be something present during fermentation? Should I worry?

So after three days in the primary, I got this from 1.059 down to about 1.010, still with some visible signs of fermentation. Started around 70º and over three days got it up to about 84º. That might be about as warm as I can get it for the remainder. Of course, after taking a gravity reading, I had to sample the 3 day old product, and at that point it was pretty solventy. Could that just be something present during fermentation? Should I worry?

When mine finished at 1.010 after two weeks it was still delicious and fairly dry. I misread the directions and racked it at 2. I don't think you have anythhing to worry about.

I'll be brewing this on Saturday (BIAB).

Here is my plan. First off, I have some different hops on hand that I am using up, so I have an ounce of Soriachi Ace and two ounces of Mt Hood (in place of fuggles). I haven't gone through the whole thread, but it seems everyone is happy with the schedule?

Second, I have the wlp565 dupont strain on hand. I have heard it likes heat stress, of which I have more than enough here in ABQ. If it stops on me, I hear people drop SA-05 or some other dry english yeast (notty might be a good one too) on it to finish. I ain't too worried about it.

Does this sound doable? Any critiques or worries?

Had to call an audible. I went with American Farmhouse 670 on this. Based on this different brett.sacc strain, I plan to ferment this for 3 months or so. I hope it turns out, I wasn't really planning on using the farmhouse, but my dupont strain was dead, and I killed it.. :(

I changed up the hop schedule a touch as mentioned earlier, I did soriachi ace with mt hood. I FWH an ounce of Mt Hood and a half of the Soriachi ace, then boiled for 30 minutes, then added a half ounce of hood, 15 minutes another half ouce of hood, and the other half of the soriachi ace at IC drop. I had a pepper mill going for around 5 minutes before flame out, and added the belgium candi syrup (my other change, didn't have enough honey) at flame out.

In all, this ended up probably being a lot different that what I had set out to do, but I bet it will be great. Now I need to find my Brett patience.....

My girlfriend routinely chooses this beer over my two hearted clone and we're both hop heads. It's been 4 weeks in bottles and this is my new favorite saison.

My girlfriend routinely chooses this beer over my two hearted clone and we're both hop heads. It's been 4 weeks in bottles and this is my new favorite saison.

I need to print these sorta posts out and hang em up in my brew closet so I can keep a slightly swollen head...

Thanks for the kind words!

Had to call an audible. I went with American Farmhouse 670 on this. Based on this different brett.sacc strain, I plan to ferment this for 3 months or so. I hope it turns out, I wasn't really planning on using the farmhouse, but my dupont strain was dead, and I killed it.. :(

I changed up the hop schedule a touch as mentioned earlier, I did soriachi ace with mt hood. I FWH an ounce of Mt Hood and a half of the Soriachi ace, then boiled for 30 minutes, then added a half ounce of hood, 15 minutes another half ouce of hood, and the other half of the soriachi ace at IC drop. I had a pepper mill going for around 5 minutes before flame out, and added the belgium candi syrup (my other change, didn't have enough honey) at flame out.

In all, this ended up probably being a lot different that what I had set out to do, but I bet it will be great. Now I need to find my Brett patience.....

It's been happily chugging away at 69 degrees. When it slows down, I will bump the temp a bit to kick the brett into gear. Pretty excited about this beer, it will be my first brett and my first saison. Has anyone used different yeasts on it?

Well mine is down to 1.002. Added 12 oz honey after 6 days in the primary. Will probably transfer in couple days to secondary, and dry hop with 1 oz Citra. I tasted my hydrometer sample today, and it's pretty nice. Can't wait to taste it dry hopped, chilled and carbed in about 3 weeks.

I wonder how many different "house versions" of this recipe are in use now...

Hmmm :D

Lots I bet. I usually make all efforts to recreate recipes, then fool with them later. I kinda winged this one for National Homebrewers Day. Still, I bet it turns out well.

I had to use American farmhouse Yeast. It has brett in it as well. I ended up killing the original yeast I had, so I went with the back up. To update, the yeast is still working away at the airlock. I wonder if after 5 days I am not seeing the end of the sacc and the beginning of the brett. I am a little hesitant to ramp up the temps, only because of the temp swings in my garage right now of 80 deg down to 50 at night. Right now I am keeping it in my "ferm room" (spare bathroom)

Anyone have any experience with the farmhouse yeast from whitelabs? I hear it throws all kinds of pepper and spice and funk, though I guess since it is relatively new-ish, there isn't a lot of recommendations on temps. In my reading around here, the general consensus is to raise temps to get the brett going.

Does anyone have exp w/ American Farmhouse wlp670 or brett and this beer?

I'm a relatively new AG brewer - sorry if this question has been asked/answered before. I did a wit recently and read that wheat does not convert well with a single infusion - so you either need to do a multi-step infusion or substitute malted or torrified wheat. Is this not a concern for this recipe, since the wheat bill is pretty low?

Also - I read that some folks substituted Centennial hops. Was that for all the hops, or just the bittering hops? I have a bunch of centennial in my freezer - that would be really convenient. :D

Looks like a great recipe - I plan to brew it this weekend.

I would give it a go with all Centennial, can't be bad. I am still waiting on my Citra batch to be ready but I'm going to brew it again and hop it like an IPA with all Cascade.

I could be wrong, but I thought white wheat was malted. Should be fine with single infusion mash.

Ah, ok.

For those of you that used 3724 instead of 3711, how did it come out? My LHBS is out of 3711 , but have 3724. I wasn't patient enough last time around with 3724 and that batch did not attenuate fully - was hoping to try it with 3711.

I've got a yeast question as well:

My LBS only sells WL strains, so I picked up a vial of 565 and began my starter on Wednesday for a Saturday brew (tomorrow). Unfortunately, I think I got a bad vial in that nothing has fermented. I made 3 starters at once and the other two are fermenting hard. In addition, this was their last vial of 565. Can you recommend another WL strain that will do the trick? I am able to ferment hot if need be, as it's about 80-90* here. They have a few dry packs too, but it's typically hit or miss. Since I'm cutting it close to brew day, should I get more than one vial/pack?

Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.

fullybro said:
I've got a yeast question as well:

My LBS only sells WL strains, so I picked up a vial of 565 and began my starter on Wednesday for a Saturday brew (tomorrow). Unfortunately, I think I got a bad vial in that nothing has fermented. I made 3 starters at once and the other two are fermenting hard. In addition, this was their last vial of 565. Can you recommend another WL strain that will do the trick? I am able to ferment hot if need be, as it's about 80-90* here. They have a few dry packs too, but it's typically hit or miss. Since I'm cutting it close to brew day, should I get more than one vial/pack?

Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.

I am just bottling my version of this brewed with WLP 550, which is very tasty. It's Houblon's yeast, AFAIK. I fermented at 78 for three weeks.

Latest posts

Back