Re-pitch or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I've never had a stuck fermentation before. I made two 5 gallon batches (diff beers) for a party at a friends house. My porter finished at 1.020. I usually start around 60-65 and finish at 03-07. Now that it's kegged, can I just sprinkle in some dry yeast to help it finish and just pull the relief valve every now and then?

I don't think I need a full re-pitch of yeast do i?

I suspect the reason it finished at 1.020 is probably not related to the yeast health or quantity but to other reasons like mash temperature, conversion and the like. If that is the case it may be done and will likely not go lower with the yeast strain you have.
If fermentation has not completed then my guess is that there is enough yeast in there already to handle any fermentables present.
Often rousing them with some gentle stirring and a temperature increased will get them active. Adding more yeast will not hurt anything but in itself is unlikely to achieve anything that rousing and temp raising would achieve.

ok so more details, OG 1.070, FG 1.020, so 6.53% ABV, but it was targeted a bit higher. I'll check another reading in a couple days from the keg. It's still very good, just not as dry as I like mine to finish

1.020 is not too high FG for porter. As el_caro stated, higher FG can be due the mash temperature so pitching doesn't have to necessarily lower the FG.
I'll leave it and bottle when it is ready.

I'll leave it I guess. My mash is always 155 as I use a cooler and my temps lock in for 90 minutes. I'll delve more into investigating this as I've never had one finish this high.

Back