The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell no, she don't drink beer..lol.. she drinks a little wine from time to time.

emjay said:
Tropical stout works too. :rockin:

Only ever had one Baltic porter. Did not like at all. But Jamaica's Dragon Stout is surprisingly decent... I'd even go so far as to call it pretty good.

Must be one of the only good beers in country (assuming it's brewed there). I have a friend who lives there, and the beer sucks. All the youngsters drink this crap called Magnum that's like a strong fruity lager with sexually stimulating herbs in it :drunk:

Must be one of the only good beers in country (assuming it's brewed there). I have a friend who lives there, and the beer sucks. All the youngsters drink this crap called Magnum that's like a strong fruity lager with sexually stimulating herbs in it :drunk:

Haha with sexually stimulating herbs in it? WTF

My wife and I were each enjoying a homebrew, she had a 5% coffee stout and I had a 7.2% IPA. Her friend made the comment that I was drinking "chick beer" while my petite wife was drinking the dark "manly beer." I of course informed her that darker color does not mean higher alcohol content, but she continued to make fun of me anyways. I can understand the humor in seeing my tiny little wife drinking a stout, but to call my fairly strong IPA "chick beer" based on its color was pretty stupid.

Me to family at get together: "yeah it's an American Bitter, not too strong, bitter but not an IPA"

Dad: "I'll have one"

Sip

Dad: "This is bitter"

tumblr_llyoftanLQ1qda8na.gif

My wife and I were each enjoying a homebrew, she had a 5% coffee stout and I had a 7.2% IPA. Her friend made the comment that I was drinking "chick beer" while my petite wife was drinking the dark "manly beer." I of course informed her that darker color does not mean higher alcohol content, but she continued to make fun of me anyways. I can understand the humor in seeing my tiny little wife drinking a stout, but to call my fairly strong IPA "chick beer" based on its color was pretty stupid.

Dear god, I love over hearing people at dinner or bars sometimes. Burger joint down the street wife and I having dinner and beers. Couple sits down, mind you all you can get is a burger or a sausage at this place.

Dude's petite ass wife: "Lagunitas please."
Bartender: "Sir?"
Dude: "House Chardoney"

Me:
tracey-jordan-nope.gif

Well this wasn't a comment on my beer but I just had to quote this chick in this restaurant/bar we go to.

While drinking a pilsner urqell at the end of the night: "I like real pilsner better."

Me walking by and had to say: "Uh, that IS a real pilsner. It's actually thought to be the FIRST pilsner and has been around for almost 200 years."

Her: "Well, they sure improved it a lot since then." (meaning Budweiser as the "improvement").

1. pilsner urqell is the best beer ive had thats not micro brewed.

2. none of my friends know the diff between ale, pilsner, and lager so dont feel left out.(i wouldent even try to explain to them how pilsner is actually a lager with hops...)

Took some of what's left of my citra pale ale to my mothers cookout today. My stepdad liked it but my mom, well..."do you want a real beer" while handing me a bud light

Not about my beer, but funny to me. I was out last night with the wife. To kick things off we got a slice of pizza and a beer. The wife wants, "Something light." and orders a PBR. I go for a Stone IPA. The place serves all their beer in red solo cups, so while the head is still present you can't tell by color which is a PBR and which is the Stone.

Wife takes a sip of the PBR, which I know is PBR by looking at the head and lacing.

"Oh, too bitter. This must be your IPA."

Me: "Chuckle, chuckle. Well here sweetie (passing the IPA) take a sip. Chuckle, chuckle."

Wife: (epic bitter beer face) "Ohhhhh, I was wrong. Very, very wrong."

Me: Roaring with laughter. "I can't wait to share on HBT."

Wife: "Fair, that was pretty obtuse of me."

My wife did a brain-boner one time too with one of my homebrews. Basic Brewing Video recommended a recipe for a New Albion Clone, which I brewed. I bought the commercial version and did a side by side taste test with my wife to see how it compared. She had already tried my clone the day before and loved it enough to suck down a couple pints before they were barely in the glass, but didn't know the sample was the same thing on this day. When we did the side by side, she tried the commercial version, then tried the clone. Even though she had already said the day before that she liked the clone, and even though they tasted almost identical she made a twisted 'bitter' face with the clone and said, "That is really bitter." I pointed out that it was the same beer she had liked the day before and that the two samples tasted almost identical. She tried it again and said, "Yum." I had a hard time keeping her out of the keg from then on.

I think she was mentally setting herself up for a certain taste experience. Many of those who try homebrew and complain about it can't describe accurately the issue and are really just responding to what their brain thought they would experience. This could be kind of like when you think you are about to taste one beverage (tea for example) but are totally shocked when you find its something else (perhaps a coke or juice). At that point the anticipation has altered your perception. Many of those who try our brews are expecting beer to taste like fizzy yellow stuff and the shock from the anticipation alone can leave them with a bad impression.

My wife did a brain-boner one time too with one of my homebrews. Basic Brewing Video recommended a recipe for a New Albion Clone, which I brewed. I bought the commercial version and did a side by side taste test with my wife to see how it compared. She had already tried my clone the day before and loved it enough to suck down a couple pints before they were barely in the glass, but didn't know the sample was the same thing on this day. When we did the side by side, she tried the commercial version, then tried the clone. Even though she had already said the day before that she liked the clone, and even though they tasted almost identical she made a twisted 'bitter' face with the clone and said, "That is really bitter." I pointed out that it was the same beer she had liked the day before and that the two samples tasted almost identical. She tried it again and said, "Yum." I had a hard time keeping her out of the keg from then on.

I think she was mentally setting herself up for a certain taste experience. Many of those who try homebrew and complain about it can't describe accurately the issue and are really just responding to what their brain thought they would experience. This could be kind of like when you think you are about to taste one beverage (tea for example) but are totally shocked when you find its something else (perhaps a coke or juice). At that point the anticipation has altered your perception. Many of those who try our brews are expecting beer to taste like fizzy yellow stuff and the shock from the anticipation alone can leave them with a bad impression.

Last night I rinsed a bottle out with water. Later while still holding the bottle I forgot I had rinsed it out and noticed an ounce of liquid in the bottom, I drank it and almost threw up. It was only water but It tasted sooo bad when I was expecting beer

Last night I rinsed a bottle out with water. Later while still holding the bottle I forgot I had rinsed it out and noticed an ounce of liquid in the bottom, I drank it and almost threw up. It was only water but It tasted sooo bad when I was expecting beer

I one time drank a DFH 90 minute at a party, then refilled the bottle with a pineapple Smirnoff ice and recapped it. Gave it to a friend and watched the hilariousness ensue.

At a family gathering (on my wife's side) I let some of her family try my hefeweizen. I thought that would be a safe enough beer for BMC drinkers... Wrong! One woman abruptly proclaims "This tastes like a dark beer!" *facepalm*

Due to an unfortunate incident involving my wort chiller wintering in the shed while full of water, I needed to pick up a new chiller. As I approached the bus stop with long copper tubing in hand, a group of teenagers at the bus stop watched with mounting distrust. A guy mumbled, "Yo, I see you're building a still."

"Nope, it's for beer," I replied. This did not appear to reassure anyone. One guy's girlfriend was whispering furiously in his ear as I sat on the bench. Moments later, they all left. Buddy's girlfriend tried to sneakily take a picture with her phone, but when she saw me watching she raised it and took several more.

Very strange. I can only imagine what her conversation with the cops sounded like.

Due to an unfortunate incident involving my wort chiller wintering in the shed while full of water, I needed to pick up a new chiller. As I approached the bus stop with long copper tubing in hand, a group of teenagers at the bus stop watched with mounting distrust. A guy mumbled, "Yo, I see you're building a still."

"Nope, it's for beer," I replied. This did not appear to reassure anyone. One guy's girlfriend was whispering furiously in his ear as I sat on the bench. Moments later, they all left. Buddy's girlfriend tried to sneakily take a picture with her phone, but when she saw me watching she raised it and took several more.

Very strange. I can only imagine what her conversation with the cops sounded like.

I had a neighbor call the sheriff's dept. I had my copper chiller running and was collecting the hot water in a water bottle to use for cleaning. He pulled into the driveway walked over and asked if he could taste the "running's" out of the chiller I said uh sure I guess. Stuck his finger in the flow out of the chiller then put it in his mouth "taste's like water" Me: Good cause it is.
I then explained that I was making beer and was cooling down the wort. He asked several more questions about beer. Told him to stop back when he was off duty and he could try some of the finished beer.

3hours later he stopped back with another guy I took them to my 12 tap keezer and handed them each a 3oz sampler glasses showed them the sign with what beers were to each tap. Both asked questions about saisons, wheats, pilsner's, lager's. Then asked which one was the one I made that day I explained how it needed to ferment showed them the fermenting fridge. They stayed and we talked beer and they talked a little shop said that they would take care of this and I wouldn't be bothered any more(second time they had been called by same prick neighbor) Other neighbor said he's complained about the "lack" of response from the sheriff's dept. I smiled and laughed.:D

Wow. You know you don't have to talk to the police at all, right? Even if its a friendly conversation most lawyers recommend against it even if you are squeaky clean. Basically anything you say can be interpreted as probable cause.

Wow. You know you don't have to talk to the police at all, right? Even if its a friendly conversation most lawyers recommend against it even if you are squeaky clean. Basically anything you say can be interpreted as probable cause.

True, but sometimes a quick convo when nothing you're doing is illegal can forestall other crap. Had he simply sat there mute the cop would have been left to draw his own conclusions and that can be bad. Instead he turned it into a chance to make some drinking buddies out of some cops, and there is no greater asset than a drinking or poker buddy who's a cop. Best friend from high school is our hometown's first detective and he knows everybody, need a transmission replaced? Call him, need to stock up a freezer with meat and want a cheap local source? Yep, need a good used car? Yup. These are just a few things he's helped me with in the recent years. And poker of course (he don't drink, at all).

Sounds like Big City stuff. Out here in the boonies it's not uncommon to know the local constables as neighbors, so it'd be pretty much the opposite of A Good Idea to suddenly clam up in their presence.

'Course, it helps to not totally go all "Perry Mason Courtroom Spectator Who Out Of Nowhere Confesses To The Crime" ;)

Cheers!

Yea, but no law against making beer and ALL of his questions were type/style and taste/etc. So if I made a mistake it was only beer related and that HAS been used against me before;) Besides, doesn't need a search warrant with probable cause (and since most of the equipment we have COULD have a other use. I find it easier just to be nice. I stated nothing that I wouldn't have said to anyone walking by if they seemed interested who knows maybe one or both will take me up on joining in a brew day can never have enough brewers :D

I agree. I find it easier to be friendly with the police especially if you aren't doing anything bad. Yes, they could use anything you say, but will they? I mean if you make nice, you become friends, you aren't doing anything illegal, what are they going to do to you? When it comes down to you doing something wrong, be silent. Why be silent if you are doing nothing wrong and just being a friendly person to another friendly off or on duty police officer.

Sounds like Big City stuff. Out here in the boonies it's not uncommon to know the local constables as neighbors, so it'd be pretty much the opposite of A Good Idea to suddenly clam up in their presence.

'Course, it helps to not totally go all "Perry Mason Courtroom Spectator Who Out Of Nowhere Confesses To The Crime" ;)

Cheers!

Yeah....around here in my safe big city area cops have nothing to do, don't know you and are not friendly. They consider everyone a criminal until proven innocent. It really is sad. They shot a little girl with a butter knife at a park by my house and killed her.

I can see it being different in a small town.

Yeah....around here in my safe big city area cops have nothing to do, don't know you and are not friendly. They consider everyone a criminal until proven innocent. It really is sad. They shot a little girl with a butter knife at a park by my house and killed her.

I can see it being different in a small town.

Jeez! That is really sad man. What is this world coming too nowadays? aren't you supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? That sucks brother.

My friend upon trying my american pale ale.. "Wow, it kind of reminds of a blue moon! You made this yourself!?"

*facepalm*

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Well this wasn't a comment on my beer but I just had to quote this chick in this restaurant/bar we go to.

While drinking a pilsner urqell at the end of the night: "I like real pilsner better."

Me walking by and had to say: "Uh, that IS a real pilsner. It's actually thought to be the FIRST pilsner and has been around for almost 200 years."

Her: "Well, they sure improved it a lot since then." (meaning Budweiser as the "improvement").

I would have smashed him in the head with the bottle

From the same family member, on the same day...

After smelling some Columbus hops and Cascade hops that I had in the freezer: "Oh yeah, I used to drive by the Budweiser brewery in Los Angeles all the time and you could really smell the hops. They probably use a lot, huh?"

Upon trying a DIPA that I made: "Wow, that's pretty intense. Will that mellow out?"

Loved my pale ale though, said it was "stupid good"

After smelling some Columbus hops and Cascade hops that I had in the freezer: "Oh yeah, I used to drive by the Budweiser brewery in Los Angeles all the time and you could really smell the hops. They probably use a lot, huh?"

Upon trying a DIPA that I made: "Wow, that's pretty intense. Will that mellow out?"

What you seem to be describing is rampant enthusiasm. "Beer is important to you so beer hell yah!"

Guy got it wrong, but I'm smiling at the lengths he was going to let you know he cares.

He's a good dude, for sure, and not a big beer drinker so I thought it was cool that he wanted to try it at all. Especially with the DIPA I was prepared for him to spit it out but he gave it a fair shake. His wife is into wine, and she ended up really liking the DIPA, went so far as to finish the rest of his glass.

They do use tremendous amounts of hops, just not relative to the volume of beer they are making! I remember seeing multiple Rubbermaid trash cans on dollys being rolled into the brewhouse in Tampa...beautiful, whole-cone hops... watched the brewers dump these into the massive kettle. There was a distinct hop aroma in the air at Busch Gardens at certain times of the day :D Quite lovely, really... problem was that the beer in the hospitality room was dreadful and gave me an instant headache! :drunk:

I hate when people (apparently) are incapable of truly giving feedback on my beers. Black IPA I let languish in primary (yep primary) for 14 months (long story short: I was waiting on Alabama to legalize homebrewing before I build a keezer and I wasn't bottling another ****ing brew, so it waited). Bro in law and a friend taste it "oh this is good I like it", I'm like dude, it's supposed to be an IPA, it has lost every trace of hops character and now it's kind of a watered down wanna be stout with some major off flavors from being on the yeast cake so long and in a plastic fermenter, it's drinkable, at best but not good".

Now my white house honey porter I put in the keg next, that was a good brew.

Someone just recently told me my beer was awesome

No it's not you moron! My beer sucks!

Why would you think your beer sucks? I think my beer is awesome! Its pretty much all I drink. My IPAs and vanilla bean smoked porter are the best I've had. When I get an IPA while I'm out I'm almost always disappointed.

Back