Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't go wrong using lees from another wine in this. Lots just want to skip that step to speed things along and it just confounds me to no end.

You can't go wrong using lees from another wine in this. Lots just want to skip that step to speed things along and it just confounds me to no end.

Or some folks, like me, don't brew wine and thus have no lees from another wine. If it really helps, one could make a starter from a gallon jug of juice? Add nutrient? Chill and decant? Pitch slurry?

looneybomber said:
Or some folks, like me, don't brew wine and thus have no lees from another wine. If it really helps, one could make a starter from a gallon jug of juice? Add nutrient? Chill and decant? Pitch slurry?

If you are going to try this without a pre-existing yeast cake two factors are of utmost importance. 1. Oxygenation, whip the living day lights out of your must, use an oxygen stone, whatever you have to, just give it plenty of O2 this will help the yeast colony build in population despite the sorbate and high acidity hindrances. 2. BE PATIENT, fermentation is like growing a pet, it takes time and attention.

Another thing to consider is that you are more likely to get off flavors from the highly stressed yeast as opposed to starting with a high population yeast colony. Not saying it will happen, but it is more likely to happen.

That is exactly what I did with my last SP batch. It is nothing to just add juice, nutrient, tannin, acid if needed and yeast. Since it is only a gallon it fits in the fridge easy so after two weeks you can put the jar in the fridge and another two weeks later you have a perfect layer of lees you decant the liquid off of and use.

May last starter wine recipe was:

4 cans Welche's frozen juice concentrate (white grape peach)
1 tbs dry black tea dumped in (Earl grey)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (lalvin 71b-1122)

This is cheap, only 30 days and honestly it was done in closer to 3 weeks but I left it in the fridge an extra week, also you get 4 wine bottles of a nice cheap dry wine that so far I have loved every time I have made this.

This is cheap, only 30 days and honestly it was done in closer to 3 weeks but I left it in the fridge an extra week, also you get 4 wine bottles of a nice cheap dry wine that so far I have loved every time I have made this.
I have this going. I used Go-Ferm to rehydrate the yeast. The next morning it looked as active as if it were on a stir plate. Day after that it was finished and today (3rd day) half the jug is clear, almost like a layer it's dropping so fast. Scary!

My batches of skeeter pee last summer turned out well and I only used a single hydrated packet of EC1118 in each of them. This year, I'll make it again soon (maybe tomorrow if I have time?) and also a batch of Desire mead (recipe is in my sig). I'll use the slurry from that to ferment another batch of skeeter pee and compare the two batches.

Side note: I have two buckets and two carboys. In the summer, they're all constantly filled. I need more fermenters.

I have this going. I used Go-Ferm to rehydrate the yeast. The next morning it looked as active as if it were on a stir plate. Day after that it was finished and today (3rd day) half the jug is clear, almost like a layer it's dropping so fast. Scary!

Haha glad to hear it is working well for ya. I have never used go-ferm. I might need to give that a try. I don't think my LHBS sells it though. I do always love the stir plat or vortex of doom effect as I call it. It is fun to see the yeasties just fly like mad.

Quick question for Arpolis starter recipe: Did you add any water to that starter or just the contents of the cans?

Ok, glad I am reading similar results. Not a wine maker, so I put together a quick 1 gallon welch's starter with EC-118. Once that was running and about 36 hours after making the pee and oxygenating, I whipped the bejesus out of it and pitched the whole gallon.

I had some idea in my head from all this reading that it would be a slow ferment. I put it in a ferm chamber at 72 and left it for Three Days.

I went to check the gravity on Wednesday evening and it took the 1.076 OG down to .096 so I just threw the extra lemon juice in there and gave it a stir. I didnt notice any overly-strong sulfur notes, so I guess it worked..? :rockin:

Quick question for Arpolis starter recipe: Did you add any water to that starter or just the contents of the cans?
Water to 1 gallon. Should be ~ 1.067 OG.

Ok, glad I am reading similar results. Not a wine maker, so I put together a quick 1 gallon welch's starter with EC-118. Once that was running and about 36 hours after making the pee and oxygenating, I whipped the bejesus out of it and pitched the whole gallon.

I had some idea in my head from all this reading that it would be a slow ferment. I put it in a ferm chamber at 72 and left it for Three Days.

I went to check the gravity on Wednesday evening and it took the 1.076 OG down to .096 so I just threw the extra lemon juice in there and gave it a stir. I didnt notice any overly-strong sulfur notes, so I guess it worked..? :rockin:
I have not pitched the whole gallon, but there's no reason why that would not work. The last time I did this I used Montrachet after Apfelwein and it was done, .998, in 6 days. I'm looking for that same sort of performance but without the sulfur. :)

Water to 1 gallon. Should be ~ 1.067 OG.

I have not pitched the whole gallon, but there's no reason why that would not work. The last time I did this I used Montrachet after Apfelwein and it was done, .998, in 6 days. I'm looking for that same sort of performance but without the sulfur. :)

Well, I wanted to pitch during active fermentation and figured the added flavors (and color) of the welch's/raspberry starter would make it more interesting.

I just wasn't prepared for such an active ferment, and assume since it was such a highly active commune when I dumped it in the SP they chewed through it like the little sprinters they were in spite of the acidity/preservatives.

I also whipped the hell out of it with a balloon whisk.

Tried my first attempt at this last weekend. Got the invert sugar up to near boiling and then cranked the temperature down to the lowest setting. Then I went on to make the rest of the solution. I checked the invert a few times during the 30 mins, but when I came in at the very end, it was boiling (I live at about 7000 feet). I don't think that is the source of the problem I am having since I do live at high altitude - "boiling" for me is "near" boiling for many others in terms of temperature.

Anyway, I made this using a starter and EC118, just like a video I saw on youtube. The starter took off fine and was showing great signs of fermentation. I pitched it into the must (I think that is what you guys call it - I brew beer, never have done wine) and stirred the bejeebus out of it with a wine degasser attached to a drill (making sure to frequently put the degasser near the top to help with aeration). I had absolutely no activity after 2.5 days. I pulled a sample and verified the gravity was still at 1.072. So, I hit it with the stir-stick again last night to see if I could get some activity. Still didn't see much this morning. I ordered two packets of the Lalvin, so I guess if I don't see any activity within the next few days, I will try making another starter with the other packet and maybe ramp up the addition of the must to the starter. I just did one addition of must to the starter on the first try.

Day 3 and nothing. I didnt read directions properly and wound up adding all the lemon at once, with all the inverted sugar.

Is this salvagable? Maybe more nutriend/energizer?

:rolleyes: Smartass. I read and followed directions to the t (save the wine yeast slurry, because, as I said - I don't make wine. I make beer. And the issue with the boiling - which isn't an issue, IMO).

Do you guys drape a towel over your fermenter for the first few days or just set your bucket lid on loosely? (assuming using a bucket). If you use the towel, how do you go about making sure it's sanitary? I'd rather set the lid on it loosely, is this a commonly accepted practice? Disadvantages?

CreamyGoodness said:
Day 3 and nothing. I didnt read directions properly and wound up adding all the lemon at once, with all the inverted sugar.

Have you taken a reading yet? Try adding another starter.

Devin said:
:rolleyes: Smartass. I read and followed directions to the t (save the wine yeast slurry, because, as I said - I don't make wine. I make beer. And the issue with the boiling - which isn't an issue, IMO).

? Don't think he was talking about you,

Acyr90 said:
Do you guys drape a towel over your fermenter for the first few days or just set your bucket lid on loosely? (assuming using a bucket). If you use the towel, how do you go about making sure it's sanitary? I'd rather set the lid on it loosely, is this a commonly accepted practice? Disadvantages?
I just set the bucket lid loosely on top,

Aeration aeration aeration. Just add as much O2 as you can over the next couple days. Whip it up like 2-3 times a day. Also add in another dose of nutrient. It may be slow but it should start up.

If everyone would just make a simple wine and use the lees off of it then we would not have slow starters or stuck ferments. Some get 1118 to work but others don't. Well started lees always works.

P.S.
Creamy not sure of your yeast selection. If you did use lees then I am further confused but the last paragraph was more for the plethora of people that come to the thread with slow starting SP and fermentation problems. Just give this must extra extra TLC and it should come around.

Devin,

What temperature is the must at? My first batch did nothing at room temp., once I bought a brew belt and hooked it up, it started fermenting nicely. Mine needed to be at 82 degrees to do anything. I've made 5 batches now and plug n the brew belt as soon as I put the bucket in the closet with the towel over it, that way by the time I add the yeast, it kicks off nicely.

It was at 71. Then I kicked it to 75 - still nothing. So, I made a new starter. This time, I made the solution a bit stronger (not as much water diluting the must). Starter took off just fine. I pitched it and the skeeter pee was fermenting nicely within the day. I think my first starter was just way too weak or something.

Started my first batch of skeeter pee for this summer. Instead of using 7lbs of sugar in the boil pot to invert, I did 8lbs. I added 3 cans of whole cranberry sauce, pureed and mixed in. This gives it a nice pink lemonaid like appearance.

However, my OG is right at 1.090, and I am already at 5.25 gal in my bucket. I would add more water, but I only have a 5gal carboy, so I can't add much more water. I guess I will just have a little more alcohol.

Last summer I when I made my skeeter pee, I only used one hydrated packet of EC1118. Since this gravity is higher, I will use two packets. My next batch I will use lees.

I read a post on here about flavoring with koolaid, but the post said to do it after back-sweetening, preferably when you're bottling. My question is, wouldn't this make for an incredibly sweet pee since it had already been sweetened with sugar to your liking?

Is there another method that is just as easy that wont carry over too much sweetness?

I read a post on here about flavoring with koolaid, but the post said to do it after back-sweetening, preferably when you're bottling. My question is, wouldn't this make for an incredibly sweet pee since it had already been sweetened with sugar to your liking?

Is there another method that is just as easy that wont carry over too much sweetness?
Sorta like if they made unsweetened Kool-Aid?

No, unsweetened coolaid is very tart and lacking any sweet quality. Just get the super cheap individual packets like LBussy posted. 1 per gallon and you can make all sorts of flavor combos with the SP. never tried it myself but I bet it will be great. I might just siphon off a couple gallons off my next batch and try this to see how it goes myself.

Oh sweet, never knew the unsweetened was literally unsweetened. Just assumed it was made with fake sugar.

Oh sweet, never knew the unsweetened was literally unsweetened. Just assumed it was made with fake sugar.

Back in middle school, we used to bring those to school and eat them. It was how we could have "cry babies" or "tear jerkers" without having to go to the store and buy them. Anyone still remember those candies? Real sour!

So after the slurry didnt work, and after a half packet of Notty didnt work (all I had on hand) I went into my closet to throw my batch away, with heavy heart.

Rejoice! Its started fermenting!!

Awesome creamy! :rockin: some times patience is the best ingredient. Now I wonder which yeast strain took off. The notty or your slurry.

Lol one where sugar drinks weren't allowed (no soda, kool-aid, capri-sun, etc) :(

Another Kool-aid related question: It says one packet per gallon, so I was gonna use 1 packet in a 2 liter bottle rather than trying to get an equal amount of mix in each individual 12 oz bottle. However, how long will the pee stay good once I crack open the 2L bottle? I'd assume treating it like a bottle of liquor would be fine since I won't be carbing. If it's open for ~2 weeks sitting in a fridge as I drink it will that be fine?

Acyr90 said:
Lol one where sugar drinks weren't allowed (no soda, kool-aid, capri-sun, etc) :(

Another Kool-aid related question: It says one packet per gallon, so I was gonna use 1 packet in a 2 liter bottle rather than trying to get an equal amount of mix in each individual 12 oz bottle. However, how long will the pee stay good once I crack open the 2L bottle? I'd assume treating it like a bottle of liquor would be fine since I won't be carbing. If it's open for ~2 weeks sitting in a fridge as I drink it will that be fine?

One packet per 2l would be kinda strong lol. Treat it as a wine(since it is) and you'll be good.

I just racked and added 6 cups of sugar..

I snuck a taste and im not sire of this tastes right... It has little to no lemon taste and is a bit dry...

Does this change in taste over the next 2 weeks?

I just racked and added 6 cups of sugar..

I snuck a taste and im not sire of this tastes right... It has little to no lemon taste and is a bit dry...

Does this change in taste over the next 2 weeks?

No, the flavor doesn't change. At bottling, I add sugar to taste, bottle it and it tastes exactly the same. If there's not enough lemon flavor for ya, add more lemon juice. For me, the three bottles (and 1/3 cup) it recommends is enough for the 7 cups of sugar I used for back sweetening. If you can't taste the lemon prior to back sweetening, then something isn't right.

Latest posts

Back