first wheat biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrff

Reaction score
I amd going to do my first wheat tom. maybe. my question is when I usely do a beer I like to mash in @168, mash out @ 209, and sparge @170. I am just wondering if I still need to do this with a wheat or not.it is a 5 gallon batch. and also most of the recipes I have seen used a yeast starter, I have never used a starter or know how to do one, I use liquid yeast. I didn't know if that was good enough or still needed a starter. I appreciate any input

If you are doing this BIAB, you want to mash it in the proper range, 148-158. Your strike water must be warmer than that to get to that temperature but maybe not 168. Use a calculator to make sure your water is the right temperature. For my batches, I start with water at 160 which gets me about 154 mash temp. You do not need to use a mash out because you are not fly sparging and as soon as you pull the bag of grains out you can start heating the wort. You also don't need to sparge with water that hot. I use my tap water to sparge and it is only about 70 degrees.

If you are doing this BIAB, you want to mash it in the proper range, 148-158. Your strike water must be warmer than that to get to that temperature but maybe not 168. Use a calculator to make sure your water is the right temperature. For my batches, I start with water at 160 which gets me about 154 mash temp. You do not need to use a mash out because you are not fly sparging and as soon as you pull the bag of grains out you can start heating the wort. You also don't need to sparge with water that hot. I use my tap water to sparge and it is only about 70 degrees.

sorry I meant strike water is 168 which in all my other beers it brings it down to bout 154-156, but thanks for the info on the mash out I wasn't sure if I need to do it with the wheat or not

Back