Help picking a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtree2

Reaction score
I am looking something for my first attempt at brewing. Brew day will be June 3rd so I'm thinking an american wheat or a blonde. I want something balanced an not too hoppy but i don't want to make BL or miller either. Any suggestions for an extract recipe? Many thanks in advance!

All grain or extract?

I just finished a keg of Northern brewers Irish blonde ale and it was plenty good! Even family liked it!

Oh, the choices are endless.

I just tested my 2nd batch which was a blonde from my LHBS and it was really nice.

Let me ask you this, given that a gazillion people will pop in with suggestions ("Brew a scheekster" "Brew a hopfelgang") what kind of answer are you looking for?

or what are your criteria? What comercial beer would you like it to be like? Are you looking for recipes that will be easy? That you can learn from the process? That'll give you flavor bang for the buck?

===
My nice blonde from The Oak Barrel in Berkeley, Ca.

Extracts: 4 lbs Pilsen Liquid malt; 2 lbs Munich Liquid malt; 1 lbs Rice solid extracts
Steeping grains: 1/2 lb Carapils; 1/2 lb Honey Malt

Hops: 1 oz Liberty (bittering-- for 60 min)
1/2 oz. U.S Saaz (flavoring-- for 15 min)
1 oz. Cascade (aroma-- at flameout; 0 minutes or less than 1)

Windsor Ale Yeast (dry) or English Ale Yeast (liquid) WLP002 or European Ale Yeast WLP011

Really, nice!!!

But then so are everyone else's suggestions too, probably.

BierMunchers Centennial Blonde is really good and the extract version is pretty easy.
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Or you can get just about any extract kit from Northern Brewer. They have really clear instructions. I started with their Cream Ale.

ale.Ale.

BierMunchers Centennial Blonde is really good and the extract version is pretty easy.
That'd be a really nice one for getting a feel for ingredients.

Or you can get just about any extract kit from Northern Brewer. They have really clear instructions. I started with their Cream Ale.

ale.Ale.
hee, hee, you can always get the instructions and apply them to another recipe...

rodwha said:
Also curious if you'd be interested in steeping grains?

I will not be set up for AG or lagering, but i would do some steeping if i could settle on a good recipe.

The only beer I've had that i do not care for is a belgian white.

What is your boil and fermenting volume?
Have you used a brew calculator before?

Do you have a preference for hops?
Alcohol content?
Yeast preference?
I'm thinking a blonde does well. I think it goes over better when sharing. Some people don't care as much for wheats.

You know what is a sneaky good kit is the AK47 from Northern Brewer. Made it 5 times now, very easy but great flavors and lower ABV so you can have a few

woozy said:
or what are your criteria? What comercial beer would you like it to be like? Are you looking for recipes that will be easy? That you can learn from the process? That'll give you flavor bang for the buck?

I am looking for something lighter for summer. I would like it to be relatively simple for a first brew. I am not against doing an IPA, APA, wheat, amber, blonde, cream, belgian, stout or porter. Just trying to pick a good one for the middle of July (my estimate for being ready to drink).

bleme said:
Do you live near a LHBS or are you doing everything mail order?

I have a very small lhbs close to where i live. They do have what seems like a good selection of necessary stuff. I will be in minneapolis in a couple weeks and plan on stopping a midwest and northern to get all my start-up equipment.

I have a very small lhbs close to where i live. They do have what seems like a good selection of necessary stuff. I will be in minneapolis in a couple weeks and plan on stopping a midwest and northern to get all my start-up equipment.

American wheats are summery and good. They aren't like a Belgian wit/white. They can be pretty simple as well.

The White House Honey Ale is pretty good and easy, although not really summery and light.

American wheats are summery and good. They aren't like a Belgian wit/white. They can be pretty simple as well.

The White House Honey Ale is pretty good and easy, although not really summery and light.

Here's my plan so far any suggestions are appreciated. I will be brewing this in 2 weeks for my first brew.

Dave's U.P. Pale Ale
5.5 gallons
3.0 gallon boil volume
OG est. 1.056
FG est 1.016
IBU est 21
ABV est 5.31
5.00 lbs amber dme
1.25 lbs light dme
1.0 lbs carapils
.5 lbs crystal 80L
.5 lbs flaked wheat

.5 oz centennial 60
.5 oz centennial 30
.5 oz saaz 15
.5 saaz 5

Safale 05

I think you should do an american wheat or a blonde. you know, something balanced and not too hoppy.

Seriously, go to your local brew store (the small one by your house) and tell him what you want to do and listen to what advise he gives you. Buy everything you can from him unless he/she gives you reason to shop elsewhere. Unless you are going to drive in to minneapolis any time you want somebody to taste your beer, or answer a specific question for you. This is your best resource.

For a pale ale that is to style consider:

Upping hops to 30-40 IBU
Use all light DME
Switch crystal to 40 or 60L

Your recipe looks like an amber ale.
I use the brew pal app and brew toad site for recipes.

jCOSbrew said:
For a pale ale that is to style consider:

Upping hops to 30-40 IBU
Use all light DME
Switch crystal to 40 or 60L

Your recipe looks like an amber ale.
I use the brew pal app and brew toad site for recipes.

I came up with this one at work and the brewr app and brewer's friend site has this fitting all criteria for an APA except for IBU's and most of the criteria for an amber except color. I guess I am wondering if this sounds like a good, balanced ale?

realtree2 said:
I came up with this one at work and the brewr app and brewer's friend site has this fitting all criteria for an APA except for IBU's and most of the criteria for an amber except color. I guess I am wondering if this sounds like a good, balanced ale?

It is balanced for an Amber. It is not balanced for a APA or IPA. The balance changes for every style.

I believe 1 lb of carapils is too much. I typically see 1/4 to 1/2 lb in a brew.

I wouldn't use any carapils if I were you. Extract already has a good portion of carapils in it and it's mashed to contain a lot of dextrins anyway. And I also wouldn't steep flaked wheat if you're not doing a mash unless you want the beer to be cloudy.

realtree2 said:

People get hung up on styles. For an amber that is not too hoppy, it looks good. Except the extra carapils and wheat. Neither are necessary because LME has some carapils already. For summer, I think less mouthfeel is better.

I'm not sure many LME's have carapils in it except for pilsen LME. Is it common for them to have used carapils?

I'm not sure many LME's have carapils in it except for pilsen LME. Is it common for them to have used carapils?

Yeah I did some research on it when I was brewing extract still. I think all of them have carapils in them. Briess, Northern Brewer, etc. And they put them in the light, extra light, and pilsen. I don't think I ever found an extract producer that didn't add it. That was one of the things that helped push me to all grain, so I could have more control over what went into my beers.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm#GoldenLight
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/northern-brewer-gold-malt-syrup.html

Here's how my amber turned out. The haze is condensation, the brew is crystal clear.

ForumRunner_20130703_114718.png

Back