non-lager uses for German Pilsen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
I have about 20 lbs of Weyerman German Pilsen that I need to do something with. Here's the backstory... I'm in charge of organizing a grain buy for members of our homebrew club who are participating in Big Brew day this weekend at our LHBS. The club is buying grain and hops for anyone who agrees to donate at least 5 gallons to the club for serving at future beer festivals. There is enough German Pils being used that it's cheaper to buy a 55 lb bag instead of buying by the pound. I'm already brewing the AHA Big Brew Day Belgian Blonde recipe that uses this same malt as base (is it weird to use German Pils as base for Belgian blonde but whatever). One of our other members is brewing a german pilsner.

I need to find come up with something to brew that I can donate, I'll do a 10 gallon batch a donate 5. Any suggestions on something that is good with german pils base that doesn't require lagering?

Thanks!

You could use it in place of any recipe calling for Belgian pilsner actually - not really that weird. Both German and American wheat beers as well, as the other half or so of the grainbill together with the wheat.

Any Belgian beer, I just used it in a tripel. Could also use it in kolsh.

I've used it blended with 2-row and alone in pale ales and IPA's. Actually, I can't think of a beer you couldn't use it with.

Agree with the others. When I buy sacks of pilsner I usually get German brands. It is very versatile and I use it in lagers, Belgians, even some American pales, IPAs, and ambers as a portion of the grist.

Latest posts

Back