question for owners of commercial kegerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipsiad

Reaction score
Just moved into a new house, and I've got SWMBO convinced that a commercial kegerator should be factored into our home improvement budget. There's a corner in our media/living room that would fit this kegerator (or something like it) perfectly.

My concern is noise. These are heavy duty units designed for bars and restaurants where noise isn't a primary concern. This thing will be 12 feet away from the couch where we'll be watching tv and movies. How loud are the compressors on these? I know it won't be anywhere near silent, but if it's actually loud/distracting then I won't do it. Can anyone who's owned one comment on the noise level?

And yes I realize that for a lot less money I could build a kegerator/keezer myself out of a mini fridge or freezer. I know this because I've already built 2. The commercial kegerator is appealing despite the cost because it can hold 4 kegs (unlike a mini fridge), has a tower (which isn't ideal with a keezer), and it looks better than anything that I'm capable of building myself.

They are a bit loud, even when the compressor is off the fan runs all the time. I wouldn't want to put it in the same room as a tv. A freezer would be much more quiet.

Agreed. I have a Haier kegerator and it does get quite loud when it's running.
If anything, I'd suggest getting a 9 or 12 cubic foot freezer and getting a temp controller and running a setup like that. Probably what I'll do next after mine dies (I got mine used a few years ago, no telling when it'll kick the bucket). Or a standard fridge and drill through the door...

That's what I suspected. I guess I'll have to actually work and make a decent-looking keezer. Time to read up on all the coffin keezer builds. Thanks for the input!

Making a keezer is a lot of fun! It's the same type of "work" as brewing your beer. Work that's a lot of fun and very rewarding. FWIW I think you can get a really nice looking keezer with just a stained collar, though of course a coffin can look classier.

I have a commercial kegerator although it lives on my patio it is not that loud. However that small desk fan I have inside it to keep the air moving and condensation down is loud...

Back