How IG relates to fermentation completion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I know that Low Gravity Beers ferment quicker than High Gravity but has anyone ever seen a chart that might show this.

Like English Milds, Browns, Hefeweisens can be served with-in a couple weeks of brewing.

Why? well I am trying to brew some low gravity beers and I want to figure out when I can serve them...

Both of my first two beers should have an OG of about 1.038.

English Summer Ale and American Summer Ale Different grain and hops but still Low Gravity.

DPB

Final gravity is a lot more important than initial. Once you think fermentation may be done, take a gravity reading, what 2 or 3 days, then check again. if its staying constant, it's done fermenting and can be packaged.
How are you carbonating? bottle-conditioned or kegging?

Final gravity is a lot more important than initial. Once you think fermentation may be done, take a gravity reading, what 2 or 3 days, then check again. if its staying constant, it's done fermenting and can be packaged.
How are you carbonating? bottle-conditioned or kegging?

I have been priming in Kegs...

I am thinking for the two beers I have lined up two weeks will be fine but it started me wondering about the relation ship...

Both beers will have an OG of 1.038.

From all my reading beers like that set up quick.

DPB

In my experience most of my beers have been ready to drink in 6-8 weeks including small beers. I have read on this forum that if you have really good, tightly controlled fermentations that your beer will be ready sooner but I have just not found that to be the case. Every beer is different but 6-8 weeks has been a pretty good time frame for me.

Ale brews can be grain to glass in about two weeks, sometimes more and sometimes less. I have had 7day turn around.

If it were my choice I would let it sit for a week before serving but this is for a brewpub so turnaround is fast on it. We do a combo of 6bbl serving vessels or kegs.

Ale brews can be grain to glass in about two weeks, sometimes more and sometimes less. I have had 7day turn around.

If it were my choice I would let it sit for a week before serving but this is for a brewpub so turnaround is fast on it. We do a combo of 6bbl serving vessels or kegs.

Thanks,

I had to see where "Richland" was since I have been to many breweries in Washington... Mostly around Tacoma and Seattle. I actually have been to about 300 in the US and a few out side.

After looking at "Brewing with wheat" since this original post I reviewed the lower IG of the wheat beers and how long they brewed them and I am in agreement with you..

I think I will ferment 2 weeks, prime and try serving in another week or so...

I find that my kegs are ready faster then my bottles..

DPB

I hope this question is not a hijack of the thread. It sounds like you brew professionally and I would love to know how you get an ale from grain to glass in 2 weeks. I am by no means an expert but I have about 60, 5 gallon batches under my belt and all of my beers taste really green that young. Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Also the average time will change depending on the OG and expected alcohol.

So a 1.035 og will ferment faster than a 1.090og with the same yeast.

Our brews average around the 5-5.7% so average gravity is around 1.050-1.060 and use 1968 LondonAle from Wyeast and this averages 3-4days to fg and then diacetyl rest, crash, harvest yeast and transfer.

Lager will be slower as will running at the low end of ferm temp range for the yeast. I once did a brew with the same yeast and it took 10days to go from 1.050 to 1.010 @52º but turned out really clean flavorwise. Not sure I would do it again because I was nervous there was almost no airlock activity at all and I am not used to that.

I hope this question is not a hijack of the thread. It sounds like you brew professionally and I would love to know how you get an ale from grain to glass in 2 weeks. I am by no means an expert but I have about 60, 5 gallon batches under my belt and all of my beers taste really green that young. Any idea where I might be going wrong?

I agree they are a bit green and as I said I would rather a week or two for aging before serving, prime IMO would be more like 6 weeks but these are changes we don't have the storage for currently.

Trust me I have had this discussion many times among others with my boss but have no solution for with the space we have...I fear it is creating bad habits in brewing for me after a year of doing it this way.

No problem....

I have always know High Gravity Beers take longer but I also know I can serve an English Mild or a Hefeweisen 14 days from the day I brew them, with forced carbonation.

When I brew these I am trying for below 4% even down to 3.5% so I can have a session beer for when I come home from work.

I can drink three pints and not feel the affects the next day.

All my other "usual" beers average around 5% stay in the fermentor for four (4) weeks, they get primed, kegged, and in about a week I start drinking them.

SOme continue to age in the kegs and when I get to them... I get to them..

Personally when brewing Best Bitters (around 4%) I aim for 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks carbing (at same temp as fermenting) and 2 weeks conditioning at a colder temperature, so 6 weeks total. But I often start drinking after 4 weeks rather than 6 due to lack of self control, it's perfectly decent but definitely improves with the extra time. One of the reasons English bitter is the way it is is the ability to go from grain to glass quite quickly making it attractive to brewers.

I condition in a barrel so comparable with priming in a keg (much more authentic...)

In my experience most of my beers have been ready to drink in 6-8 weeks including small beers. I have read on this forum that if you have really good, tightly controlled fermentations that your beer will be ready sooner but I have just not found that to be the case. Every beer is different but 6-8 weeks has been a pretty good time frame for me.

Yep... most of my 5%-ish ales stay four (4) weeks in the promary and then get primed and kegged... a week or so later I usually start serviving...

My Hefeweisens a bit faster... two (2) weeks in the Primary and then primed and kegged... I have served them 17 days from date of brewing (force carbonated)

DPB

Back