Washed yeast question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
Hi all. I have recently got into washing yeast, but as I only had two mason jars left I decided I would only start with half a gallon of pre boiled water. Anyway I have ended up with a lot more settled out yeast in the bottom compared to other yeast I have washed.

image-2005240303.jpg

Anyway would it be ok to use all this yeast for a starter or should I only use half of it? I only do 4 to 5% ABV beers.

I think it's because it's us-05, I find I get almost 5 times more yeast when washing this compared to liquid yeast!

Anyway would it be ok to use all this yeast for a starter or should I only use half of it? I only do 4 to 5% ABV beers.

You should really be doing some calculations to determine how much yeast you have and how much you need to pitch. Depending on the age of the rinsed yeast you may well need a starter.
You can estimate how many ml of yeast you have in the jar and then use MrMalty and YeastCalc to estimate the size of starter required.

christpuncher123 said:
I think it's because it's us-05, I find I get almost 5 times more yeast when washing this compared to liquid yeast!

The one on the left is S-05 but the one on the right is 3rd generation of wyeast 1028 London ale yeast. This is the 1st time I have ended up with this much yeast.

el_caro said:
You should really be doing some calculations to determine how much yeast you have and how much you need to pitch. Depending on the age of the rinsed yeast you may well need a starter.
You can estimate how many ml of yeast you have in the jar and then use MrMalty and YeastCalc to estimate the size of starter required.

I do starters for my yeast. Maybe I'll check out MrMalty. Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back