EEK! 12% Brett C. beer.. What did I just do? Help me, Im freakin out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
alright was up til 2am lastnight getting this beer done and bottling my last batch.

I did a 30min @ 155 steep of:

0.5lbs carapils
0.5lbs flaked oats
0.5lbs 2 row
0.5lbs munich

10lbs amber liquid extract @ 10min
3lbs dextrose @10min
24oz black cherry concentrate @10min

0.25oz magnum @ 60min
0.25oz magnum @ 10min

Pitched 1 liter of stirred up sludge from carboy of the recipe I just did last month which was ready to bottle, same ingredients except 6.7% beer with no cherry concentrate or dextrose. Bottled it lastnight while my wort was cooling, so i poured off 1 liter, plus another small mason jar to store in the fridge.

Have everything in a rope bucket filed with cool water to do the swamp cooler method to decrease temps.

Pitched at 68, it's now sitting at 66

initial SG was 1.112

--- OK now, I ran these ingredients through the Beer Calculus site and it says I should get 12%!!

will this beer ever carb up once I bottle it?
and will my yeast even make it at this %?

the Wyeast version of this Brettanomyces claussenii strain says 12% ABV tolerance. However the White Labs website doesnt show a % for their strain.

What do I do now? let the Brett consume all it can, then if it stalls out pitch something that can withstand higher alcohol?

Need some help, thanks! :mug:

You're really pushing it. Did you pitch enough yeast? Brett needs some seriously insane cell counts.

I stirred up the slurry in my carboy from the last brett batch with about an inch of beer and 2-3 inches of slurry, then poured off a 1 liter jug of it and pitched the entire 1 liter jug.

the thing is, i greatly underpitched my last brett brew and it has a HUGE pineapple flavor, almost like straight pineapple juice with a slight beer kick.

its been about 12 hours and there is already a krausen forming, looks like a nice solid krausen too

sick on therm says 68 degrees.

do you think brett will die off toward the end of my fermentation? being a 12% beer, would I need to finish off the brew with champange yeast or something?

You might have to freeze it and pour off the alcohol and then repitch into the lower abv wort. When your finished mix them back together. I read a post on here somewhere on that.

It sounds like the alcohol is going to be your limiting factor. Champagne yeast isn't going to do squat for you. If it stalls out before you want it to finish, pitch a goodly starter of an alcohol tolerant sacch at high krausen and see what happens.

It sounds like the alcohol is going to be your limiting factor. Champagne yeast isn't going to do squat for you. If it stalls out before you want it to finish, pitch a goodly starter of an alcohol tolerant sacch at high krausen and see what happens.

pitch the sacch at high krausen before it stalls out?

wouldnt it stall out then drop the existing krausen?

No, if the brett beer stalls, make a sacch starter. When the sacch starter is at high krausen, pitch it into the stalled beer.

ahh gotchya... thanks for the help

what part of SD ya from?

I grew up in el cajon, up in portland now

Grew up in Vista, now in Mira Mesa. Bit of a culture shock, El Cajon to Portland.

yeah lol, well we were in phoenix for awhile.. cheap houses and all.. but the desert sucks, and SD is too expensive, we're lovin the rain and moss everywhere up here

Back