Open Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
I did a Belgian tripel and a dark strong using open fermentation in my 30 gallon stock pot. The dark strong isn’t ready but taste great in the secondary and the tripel was the best tripel that I made. Since its getting warm outside and the bugs are coming out I am worried about doing this even though I have a chamber made from a chest freezer. I am still afraid of them getting to my beer.
Here is my question I know that there is increased ester production due to decreased pressure during fermentation because there is greater surface area and less depth in my fermenter. Could one get the same results from manufacturing some sort of lid and an airlock? How much more pressure could there possible be during fermentation with the lid off verses with an airlock?

On the homebrew scale, we use an airlock in our fermentations and the liquid column on the yeast is tiny. As far as ester production goes, if you ferment in a carboy or bucket with an airlock, you're essentially performing an open fermentation in everything but oxygen exposure. The only additional pressure besides the atmosphere is from a couple grams of water in the airlock- almost nothing. Put a lid on and never look back.

I'm in a same camp. I recently started to experiment with open fermentation and I noticed faster, stronger ferments compare to my carboys. Like 2-3 days to reach FG from the time I pitch yeast (and that with account for 12 hr lag time) for 1.050 beer and my recent dubbel fermented at 64F (3787 - 1.072) was done in 4 days flat and tasted incredible from primary. I ferment in wide and shallow 6 gal bucket, much wider than standard 7 gal plastic pail. All I do is do not snap the lid, it just sits on top. I also peak inside at least couple times a day to skim the trub from the top or top crop some fresh yeast for future brews.
While "open fermenting" this way I noticed no sulfur production at all from 3068 or other stinky strains and aromas coming out of bucket are much more pleasant and complex than when I ferment in a carboy.
This is where I got my inspiration from open fermentation.
Note that its not airlock pressure thats important (since it is basically non-existent) its a shallow vessel design and depth of environment at which yeast goes to work. Also important is oxygen availability.
Of course this is only possible during winter months which for me Oct thru May. Fruit flies or other flying critters will ruin everything. I don't even attempt to do it in summer.

I'm getting ready to do an open fermentation hefe. I'm going to put cheese cloth over the vessel and rack to secondary before the krausen completely drops to reduce the risk of contamination.

Just put a loose lid on top or a empty air lock

This method seems very popular in Canada. Just got into brewing and from the 3 stores I went to, all told me not to close my bucket lid. All the starter kit they sale have no hole for the air lock on the primary. My first brew was a open fermentation turn out ok (was a kit) My friend brewer as over 10 AG batch, all open Primary. He normally rack to secondary within 7 days. He never had a problem I cannot saw his beer is better than mine, he has some hit a miss more than I do. I am not sure it related to the open fermentation. As long as you rack to secondary when the Krausen drop I think you are fine. I think my friend Rack to Sec at day seven no matter what. Because that's what the store told him. He also end with high FG. but this could many other reasons. I went from 1.058 - 1.008 FG on my open fermentation with cooper yeast.

Last time I went to local store, I told them I had drill a hole and added a air lock to my primary. The Owner started to look at me like I was a idiot and shouldn't be experimenting. " You will waste God beer" he said remove the lid ASAP and don't do it again. Why I asked " You are stressing the yeast by applying CO2 pressure on them. They will stop working and will give you a bad taste"
I had stop going there since, and don't ask much question to local store anymore. I just pick my grains and yeast and do my business.

Open fermentation require that you check your beer for the first week or so and means more manipulation to me. I love 3-4 weeks primary then I keg and Enjoy. Less cleaning more time to drink.

If I make a beer that require a secondary I might do another Open fermentation. I don't think there is a risk it just require more attention.

Back